Chapter Six

"Why don't you two dance together? They're playing a lovely tune" Katherine's mother suggested .

Jack and Katherine walked to the dance floor and began to dance .

"I'm going to be your fiancé ... It's perfectly fine for you to hold my hand " Jack said .

"Right ... Fiancé ... You know ... Race totally kicked that guys ass " Katherine said .

"Oh please Pulitzer ... Finch totally won that " Jack said.

"Finch ?His name is finch ... That's is -"

"It's no better than race !" Jack said .

"Shut up ... " Katherine said . The song ended and then jacks father tapped his shoulder .

"Do you mind if I dance with her for a moment Jackson ?" He asked .

"Not at all " Jack said and then walked off to the table . The new song began and the two began to dance .

"Katherine, I can't thank you enough " he said .

"Why Mr. Kelly ?" Katherine asked .

"I've always wanted him to find a beautiful, smart , talented young lady such as yourself ... And he would find one if he didn't spend every moment on the basketball court " his father said .

"Yes ... I've seen him play "

"When ?" He asked as he spun her around .

"At school ... We go to the same school ..... You didn't know that ?" Katherine asked .

"Not at all ... Are you a cheerleader? Or ASB council ? Newspaper ?" He asked her .

"No , I'm in drama club... Actually I'm the president of the drama club.." Katherine said .

"Really ? Have you been in anything ?" He asked .

"I was in King and I last year ... I've been in Ragtime , Hairspray , and this year and I'm sandy in grease " she told him .

"We will be there ... I'm sure the program will say Mrs. Kelly by then " he said .

"Yeah " Katherine said .

~*~*~

It was Monday , not only was it the worst day of the week but she really didn't want to go to school . Especially since her "fiancé " was there .

Katherine saw a bright sun as she opened the door to her car. She drove into school and opened her glove box . She saw her ring sitting in a tiny box in her glove box . She took the stupid ring and placed it on her ring finger .

As soon as she opened her car door she felt a tiny drop of rain fall on her head "not today " she groaned and quickly searched for an umbrella. After not finding one she let out an aggravated sigh.

The rain began to fall harder until it stopped . She looked up and saw none other than Jack holding an umbrella over her . "Thanks " she said and grabbed her bag .

"You're welcome " he said ."aren't you gonna walk to class ?"

"But -"

"I'll walk you to class ... The rain should clear up by the end of first period " Jack said . Katherine nodded and they walked to her first period , AP biology.

"AP classes ?" Jack asked .

"I've been taking them since I was a freshman " Katherine said .

"Bye ... I'll see you later " Jack said .

"Yeah ... " she smiled half heartedly. She sat down in her seat and Race sat next to her .

"Since when did you and Jack know ea h other ?" He asked .

"Friday... Our parents go to the same country club " Katherine said .

"Oh... Why was he holding an umbrella for you .... Are you guys dating ?" Race asked looking at her .

"I guess you could say that " she said and moved a piece of her hair behind her ear. Race gasped then grabbed her hand . "What ?!"

"He gave you a ring ! A promise ring ! Oh I ship it !" He said .

"Stop ... It's not like that at all ... Come on , we have a test next week we should really study " Katherine said and opened the book .

By lunch everyone was looking at her , in fact she started to think she had something in her teeth or people made the rumor she was pregnant.

When she sat down at her table all her friends didn't say anything. "What's going on ?" Katherine asked .

"What part of stick to the status quo did you not get ?" Kylie asked .

"What ?!"

"Guys .... I smell basketball shorts and your mom jokes " Clara said . And like that Jack was already at their table .

"Pulitzer , can i talk to you outside ?" Jack asked . Katherine nodded and left her tray at her table and followed him out.
The whole school watched as they walked out of the cafeteria doors.

"How come everyone keeps asking me how long we've been dating ?!" Jack asked angrily .

"Beats me , I was gonna ask you ... People must have seen you walk my to class .... "

"What about your friend who you were talking to " Jack said

"Race ? No , race wouldn't do that , he knows how rumors hurt ... But there's this girl in my AP biology class , Sara Jacobs ... She may have started this "

"Sara ? Really ? Damn it " Jack said .

"What ? What's up with Sara ?"

"I used to date her ... She's a cheerleader and we dated during sophomore year until I broke up with her .... And then I had her brother on the team "

"Who's her brother ?" Katherine asked .

""Davey " he said . Katherine nodded .

"Well , let not make a big deal about this ... So people think we're dating ... So who cares ? Honestly? Jack were getting married-"

"Keep your voice down !" He said putting his hand over her mouth .

"Okay , just ... Just forget about it .." Katherine said .

"Yeah ... I guess " Jack said .

Katherine nodded and put her hair behind her ear "you're wearing your ring " Jack said .

"I figured I should " she said "I'm gonna go way , bye Jack " she said and walked back inside