Chapter Twenty-Eight

It was the day of jacks big game . Sure he was nervous but Katherine was trying everything she could to calm him down.

Jack was asleep in bed , tossing and turning. It wasn't even 4 in the morning yet. He asked Katherine ever 20 minutes if she thinks they'll win.

"Kath ? Kathy ! Do you think we will win?"

"For the hundredth time, yes... Jack let's try and go to sleep" she said and turned so that she faced him. "Close your eyes ... And just lay down " she said .

Jack closed his eyes and Katherine sat up a tad then ran her hands through his hair , over and over again . She laid so close to him that Jack could hear her heart beat.

It was a gently thump thump . She used her fingers to twist small parts of his black locks . Katherine slowly put him to sleep .

She heard a small snore and smiled to herself , she kept her arm on his shoulder.

*~*~*

Katherine woke up before Jack and slowly unwrapped her arm from him and crept downstairs.

She made him pancakes with extra protein powder and a some fresh orange juice. Katherine fried up some bacon and a tiny cup of oatmeal.

Katherine fixed his plate and brought it up to him. "Jack , wake up" Katherine said . He yawned and saw her with a plate for food .

"What's this for ?" He asked .

"Your big game is today , and the other day I called Maria and asked her what she usually made you on game days ... She said this is your good luck meal " she smiled .

"Thank Katherine, you're the best" he said smiling . Katherine walked down stairs and turned on the news .

The headline was jacks championship game today . They were gonna film it live too. She slacked off as Jack was in one of the spare rooms working out and stretching .

Katherine checked her phone and saw that it was getting late and Jack had to be there at 6:30. She walked upstairs and began to get ready, she didn't wanna look like crap.

She did her makeup and then curled her hair and straightened her bangs . She took two small pieces from each side and pinned them , it was her signature hairstyle yet she decided to up the curls .

She went to get dressed , and saw Jack washing his face and getting dressed in his uniform . She grabbed her purse and waited for him to come downstairs.

"Ready ?" She asked .

"Ready" he said , grabbing his duffle bag.

Katherine drove his car so she could park and he could go to the locker room. "I'll be in the stands , don't worry , you'll do great" Katherine said and rubbed his shoulder .

"Thanks Kath" he said and got out of the car. Katherine parked the car and then walked inside , she saw Clara and race there .

"You guys do know this is a sports event" Katherine said sitting near them. The gym was empty because only students were allowed in.

"Yeah , I wanna see what all the fuss is about " Race said .

"Katherine?" Clara asked . Katherine turned to bed and Clara whispered in her ear "jacks friend , number 19... What's his name ?"

"Davey why ?" She asked .

"He's pretty cute " Clara said . Katherine smiled and they waited for more prior to come .

Katherine saw Jack's parents and hers . They sat down near her. "Hello dear , hello Clara" Katherine's mother said . They all said hello and waited for the game .

The announcer began to speak and the game started . Katherine watched as the Jack went on the court . She squeezed Clara's hand when he shot the ball. It made it in to no ones surprise .

The game went on and Katherine could feel Jack's nerves . She was nervous too.
Katherine watched as the points slowly added up and the game was at a tie.

The ball was in Finches hand and he passed it to Jack , next thing you knew one of Brooklyn players knocked Jack down , he fell straight down and the entire crowd gasped .

It was tied , there was 5 minutes left in the game . The called a time out and Katherine sat in shock . Two of the bench players carried Jack to the side lines . He hadn't been out of a game this whole season. One of the coaches ran up to the stands "Mrs. Kelly ?" He called out.

Katherine looked at Jack's mother and she looked at Katherine "go dear" she said . Katherine ran down the stands to the court side .

"Jack !" She said , he wasn't cut , maybe a bruise on the forehead or cheek . "Jack , oh ... Shh... It's okay " Katherine said kneeling down to him.

"There's 5 minutes left , Jack can you play ?" The coach asked .

"I don't think so coach" Jack said .

Katherine grabbed him by his chin." Stop right there , I know you can play , this is your last game ever and you're gonna leave like this ? No I don't think so ! You're so much better than that Jack come on ! Do you think Kobe's been down and said no ? No he didn't ! So you're gonna get a drink of water and go back on the court !" Katherine said .

"Kath -"

"I don't wanna hear it ! You can do it , I know you can do it , come on ! Do you really want to sit down one day and think what might have been ? " Katherine said .

One of the players from Brooklyn walked over . "Hey , Kelly, you're girls right ... You gotta play ... Take my guy down , but do it yourself " the guy said .

"See even -" Katherine said

"Spot" the guy said .

"Even spot wants you to do it !" Katherine said .

"Yeah Kelly , we're gonna rob you of your titles fair and square " spot said and walked off .

"You're gonna let him take them ?" Katherine asked raising an eyebrow.

Jack smiled " hell no" Jack said and then hugged her "Coach ! Let's go !" He said and got up .

Katherine smiled and stayed with the coach and the team on the bench . "He's gonna win " Katherine said to herself.