Chapter Thirty

Katherine and Jack drove to the restaurant. The second Jack walked in men were congratulating him on the win. Many of them saying they watched it on their phones .

Jack smiled and led himself and Katherine to their table , where both sets of parents were sitting , talking about stuff .

The families ordered their food and began small talk . Katherine was unfolding her napkin when Jack's mother asked her the worst question of all.

"So when do you two plan on having children?"

Katherine's eyes widened and Jack gasped . "Mom , that's not necessarily the best topic " Jack said .

"It's a question all of us are dying to know" Hannah said for Whitney .

"Mom , it's not that we don't think it's not your question it's just is it really the time to talk about it ?" Katherine asked .

"I say it is " Joseph added taking a sip of his coffee .

"I second that " Roger said .

"Katherine and I haven't talked about this" Jack told them all.

"And we said we wouldn't talk about it until I finish high school " Katherine said .

"Well you're graduating with early aren't you ... You graduate what .... A week after Jack ... Why can't we talk about this?" Roger said .

"I'm not ready to be a mom ! I can't take care of myself ... Or Jack for that matter " Katherine said .

"It's true ! She didn't wake me up once " Jack replied quickly .

"But a baby is different " Hannah said .

"Do you two really want to be called grandma ?" Jack asked . Their mother both stopped for a minute to think .

"Of course not ! I would be grannah " Hannah said .

"I like that ! I'll be Granity " Whitney smiled .

Katherine put her head in her hands . "Not what we meant"

"Besides, who wants to be in college and have a baby to come home to ?" Jack asked .

"I did " Joseph said .

"But dad , mom didn't go to school when she had Steven " Katherine said .

"Then how about you don't either " he said .

"Katherine's education is more important than a baby " Jack retorted quickly .

"I'm not saying it's not I'm saying she could take a gap year or three until the child could be in preschool " Joseph said .

"Joseph does make a point " Roger said.

"Guys , this is our lives okay ... We don't want a baby ... Now .... However maybe in 5 or 6 years we will be ready for one " Katherine said .

"Besides , you guys forced us to get married can you lay off the baby thing ?" Jack said .

They all looked at each other and nodded "very well ... We'll change the subject " Roger said .

"Jack have you picked a university?" Hannah asked .

"NYU... Basketball ." Jack said .

"Dear , have they talked to you about you playing professionally?" Whitney asked .

"Like the NBA ? No , but I think if I play college ball it will get some open doors " Jack said .

"What about you Katherine , any thoughts ?" Roger asked her .

"Business, like dad " Katherine said

"But you seem to have this passion for performing ... NYU has a performing arts program ... You should look into that " Whitney said .

"I have , but if I preform I only have like a .5 percent chance that I'll actually make it ... It's better this way " Katherine said and then their food came .

Jack could tell Katherine's emotions fell after that. He could also tell Joseph probably felt like a jerk after seeing her face so upset .

Their meal ended and they all went their separate ways . Katherine and Jack were walking to the car "oh ! I forgot to give your father the tickets to the game were gonna see ... Here's the keys " Jack said and handed her the car keys .

"Okay " she replied as she got in the car . Jack jogged across the lot to Pulitzer.

"Sir ?" Jack asked , the cold air moving out into a cloud .

"Jackson ? What's this matter ?" He asked .

"Sir , I really think that you should pay for Katherine to pursue theatre ... She's good , really good ... And I know she wants to go to Carngine Mellon , but NYU already accepted her . She could change majors and then get into their theatre program ... " Jack said .

"Jackson , we've decided that she will go to business where it's stable " he said .

"Sir , she lights up a stage when she's on it ... When my parents dragged me to see Phantom of the Opera when I was 15 I thought Christine was good ... Sir Katherine is some much better acting and vocally ... Please sir " Jack said .

"I don't know -"

"Business could always be a back up " Jack said .

"Oh alright " he said . Jack shook his hand and went back to his car .

Katherine and Jack were driving home , some music playing . "Guess what " Jack said as he turned down their street .

"What ?"

"You get to go to NYU , majoring in theatre ... With a minor is business " Jack said and parked the car .

Katherine's mouth was wide open as he got his duffle bag out and began to walk up the steps to the door .

"You're kidding !"

"Nope , talked to your dad a minute ago " he said and opened the door to their home .

Katherine followed him inside "Jack ... You're not joking ?"

"No " he said .

Katherine hugged him tightly , and he hugged her bag , dropping his duffle bag to the floor .

"Thank you so much Jack " she said .

"But part of the deal is you go to business school as a back up if you don't make it ... Which I doubt will happen " Jack said .

"Jack thank you so much !" She said and wrapped her arms around his neck once more . He hugged her back tightly .

Soon enough they both pulled away and stood their , looking at one another .