Chapter __ ~ Deceiver

Silence. All that was left was silence once Shoria and Kyrel had left. Eventually, Shade turned towards Kaos just as he was getting to his feet. Helping Meyhem up in the process.

"Well then. I'll see you if you're ready."

On that note, Shade walked out of sight. Ringmaster watched as he left. She knew he was heading back down to where Scar was being held.

"This is getting serious." Ringmaster muttered. "This is the fourth time in the past month or so that some magic or what-not is being put on people. Maybe we should speak with Headmaster Eon..."

"Scar- I mean, Angelo" Mammagma said, "seems to know more about what's been going on. We should ask him."

"I agree with Mammagma." Kaos folded his arms in front of his chest. His voice hard. "We're NOT bringing that old fool into this."

Meyhem turned away from the others, hiding the metal that had been revealed to the best of her ability. In a soft whisper, she told Kaos she'd be waiting in his dorm room. Kaos nodded in agreement. Meyhem left briskly, but with some difficulty. Only Kaos seemed to notice, though.

"Then, let's follow Shade." Ringmaster sighed.

Kaos, Mammagma, Ringmaster and Metaltaur began their trek back to the dungeons. They walked through corridors and hallways, unnoticed, before heading down a large staircase. They emerged in a small, dreary room. Shade knelt at the end in front of a confined Traptanium cell. Scar, with Diablo in control, was contained within. Scratching violently at the walls. Shade looked over as they approached. Scar also took an interest in his new audience.

"HERE TO 'CURE' ME, I ASSUME?"

"Soon," Ringmaster stated, "but first, we need you to explain about what's been going on here. About these curses. Kaos has had to help out another person."

Angelo nodded. "I understand. It's time you understoo-"

"THE TERROR YOU ARE IN!"

The others waited patiently for Scar to begin, but Kaos gave Scar a look, as if saying, "We're listening, fool. Get on with it."

"Long ago, even before the Portal Masters and the Darkness," Angelo explained, "there were beings known only as the Shellas. The creatures who were assumed to have created Skylands, or at least help it form along with the Ancients. They wanted to create life. Bring happiness. And, they did. They succeeded in their goal, but then-"

"BUT THEN ONE WASN'T SATISFIED." Diablo grinned, "HE HAD A VENDETTA AGAINST THE OTHER SHELLAS. HE HAD MADE THE LESS DESIRABLE CREATURES, LIKE THE TROLLS."

Kaos made a face at this statement. Ringmaster looked over at him questioningly. Kaos just shrugged, then motioned for Diablo to continue.

"AND WARPED THE MINDS OF PEACEFUL CREATURES, LIKE ELVES, CREATING BEINGS LIKE THE DROW. AT FIRST, THEY WERE PEACEFUL TOO, BUT THE OTHER SHELLAS WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. SO, THEY ABANDONED THEM. LEFT THEM IN THE DUST AND THE DARK."

"So, this Shellas decided to take matters into his own hands. Most of the inhabitants did not know of the Shellas, so in secret, he whispered to his creations. Tempted them to go to war."

"BUT THAT WAS NOT ENOUGH. HE CREATED THE DARKNESS TO CRUSH EVERYTHING! NOTHING WAS SAFE! EVERYONE WOULD DIE!"

"And indeed, his cruelty and inner darkness grew. The evil in people's hearts almost fueled him. Because of this, he started to tempt other creations of Skylands. As his power and evil grey, the other Shellas gave him the name of-"

"VHARGON. 'DECEIVER'. THAT POWER WASN'T EVEN ENOUGH, SO HE ABSORBED A PORTION OF HIS OWN DARKNESS, AND BECAME A MONSTER. IN THIS FORM, HE LOST CONTROL. HE SLAUGHTERED MANY, MANY SHELLAS. ONLY A FEW REMAINED AFTER THE CARNAGE. IT WAS GLORIOUS!"