Chapter 5 ~ The Great Escape

Skeleborg walked out into the graveyard. The grey, swirling clouds covering the sky and smog-colored fog rolling across the frozen, upturned earth and around the stone headstones of fallen warriors and deceased Skylanders just seemed to add to the impending doom that Skeleborg cast wherever he went. Behind the skeletal overlord were his accomplices. Wolfgang, Mesmeralda, Coldfinger and Monarch. Skeleborg turned towards Wolfgang, who was holding a vacuum-like device with a large jar attached to it.

"You know what to do." Skeleborg breathed coldly.

Wolfgang nodded. Skeleborg turned back to the headstones protruding from the forgotten earth. Skeleborg raised his arms, concentrating. Within moments, faded blue, glowing balls of pure energy floated out of the ground below the gravestones gracefully like dandelion seeds on the wind. A sneer spread across Wolfgang's snout. The werewolf flicked a switch on the side of the device, and the machine whirred to life, starting to suck in the energy spheres. They looked as if they were struggling to fight the current of air sucking them into the device... but it was no use. Within a minute or so, all of them had gone through the nozzle of the vacuum. Skeleborg collapsed from the struggle, coughing and panting as he attempted to regain himself.

"I'd say it's time we go." Coldfinger noted in a weezy, italian accent.

Skeleborg slowly rose up, "Yes..." He hissed.

As Shade and his allies ran into the cell, as it was before; door wide open with the lock melted.

"We know that five villains have escaped." Fryno explained, panting.

"Skeleborg: Cyborg skeleton who attempted to take over Skylands with a robotic army fueled by the spirits of the dead. Wolfgang: Werewolf and former Doom Raider with the taste for dangerous music. Mesmeralda: Spider puppeteer who was enlisted by Kaos' Mom to capture the Ancient Frosthound. Coldfinger: Snowman mafia boss with the power to freeze any living being thanks to his icy touch. And Monarch: Butterfly sorceress who specialized in air and healing magic." Punk Shock said, taking over for the winded Fryno.

Shoria whistled. "Talk about an all-star cast."

"But where are they now?" Fryno questioned angrily, "We can't let them get away!"

Suddenly, a massive roar shook the Academy. As the heroes struggled to get up off of the floor which they had been knocked to the ground, Mammagma entered the room. A frantic, panicked, look on his face.

"You may want to see this." He panted.

The others followed him out into the open air, and as another roar shook the academy once again; Shoria looked up to see a large, skeletal, robotic dragon circling above, high in the sky.

"Wha- What is that thing?!" She stammered.

"Skullwrym." Mammagma replied grimly, "Skeleborg's pet."

At that moment, the dragon ascended into the swirling, ominous, black clouds that had covered the sky. On the dragon's back, Shoria noticed small, shadowed objects tied down. A base of sorts. Like the deck of a ship.

"It's them!" Shoria cried.

Shade turned to Shoria. "Find Flynn and take his ship."

"Where are you..."

Before she could continue, Shade had raised his hands, and summoned his signature vehicle; the Shadow Scourge. He hopped into the pilot's seat and took to the skies.

"If only my vehicle wasn't land-based..." Mammagma mumbled.

"Let's go" Shoria called as she ran off to find the mabu pilot.