4 - Talks

He thanks you quietly when you hand him his mug; you sit down next to him and sip gingerly at your own, which, like his, is piping hot.

"You didn't have to invite me in, you know," Lewis says.

"You didn't have to give me a lift all the way home," you reply. "I guess we're even, then," you add.

Lewis sighs. "Yeah."

He seems a little more... subdued than usual, it's got to be said. He's acting very unlike how he was in the car earlier.

"Are you alright?"

"What? Oh, yeah. I'm good."

"Something wrong with the coffee?"

"No, it's fine."

"You seem upset about something, Lewis."

"I'm fine, (Y/N), honestly -"

"Lewis?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you going to tell me or not?"

Lewis sighs, setting down his cup of tea on the coaster on the table. "I don't want to bother you with something so stupid," he mutters, more to himself than to you.

"Lewis, if you're upset and need to say something, then just say it. I won't tell anyone. It's what friends are for."

"It's something stupid, you know. You'll think I'm being stupid."

"I won't!"

"Look," Lewis says. "You know you're one of my best friends in the whole universe and I'd never hide anything from you. But this whole thing - I'm not avoiding telling you because I don't want you to know, or because I don't trust you. I just don't want to burden you with this."

You hesitate, but decide not to continue to pressure Lewis - he's clearly not in the mood.

"Alright," you say finally, crossing your arms over your chest.

"Thanks," Lewis says.

You notice his hand moves down, almost subconsciously, as he speaks then, to his trouser pocket - it's a tiny little thing, you know, and to anyone else, it would mean nothing. But you can't help but notice it, because you know him so well, and you know that it's not one of his little habits. It's something he's thinking about.

And because you know him so well, you know that that trouser pocket is where he keeps his phone.

It's something to do with his phone, isn't it? Something maybe he read, or saw on the Internet - maybe some hate mail or something? You make a mental note to check social media after Lewis has gone.

And it makes sense, doesn't it? Lewis was reading or watching something in the car.  

"Thanks for the coffee," Lewis says tautly, setting down his empty mug.

"No problem," you say. You check your watch; it's only seven o'clock. Plenty of time to play something to get whatever's bothering Lewis off his mind. "Do you want to play something?"

"Sure, yeah. I've got my laptop with me, if we need to use it."

"Don't bother. I've got a spare," you say. "You can use it. Do you want to play Rust or something?"

Lewis clicks his tongue. "I'm going to be honest, I'm a little bored of Rust at the moment."

You gasp in mock horror; Lewis smiles. "I've spent about seventy-two odd hours on it in the past week. I think that wonderful Rust-loving part of my mind just died, (Y/N)."