25 - And We're Back

A/N: ^ imagine you're Duncan. ;)

"(Y/N)."

You sit up immediately from your sleep, feeling more refreshed than you have in - well, six months.

"(Y/N)," the voice repeats. You turn, and there's Abbie, smiling down at you with a plate of toast in her hand. "Someone's coming here to get you at nine," she explains. "I didn't want to wake you, but..."

You shake your head. "It's fine. Thanks," you add, taking the plate. "What's the time?" 

"Eight," she says. She points at the chair. "I've got some clothes for you to change into as well."

You glance over, and sure enough, there's one of your outfits there, neatly folded in a pile on the back of the seat - for a moment, you wonder how the fuck the hospital knows exactly what you wear, before you realize someone probably dropped it off for you earlier.

Probably Lewis.

"Thanks, Abbie," you smile.

"No problem," she says. She looks at you for a moment more, and there's a glint of pride and admiration in there. And then she leaves the room.

________________________________________

It feels surreal, changing out of your hospital outfit and into your normal clothes - like it's confirmation to you that you're no longer a patient, that now you're awake and out of the white room.

You peel off the blue hospital gown and fold it over the chair carefully, and reach for your shirt to pull it on when you look down and realize something is different.

Along your right shoulder all the way to the side of your neck is a huge, scarlet gash, as wide as your thumb, like you've been slashed by a knife. For a moment, the world feels like it's spinning and your vision blurs; and then you focus, and realize it's just a scar. And you haven't been stabbed - it's just from when you got hit. 

"Fuck," you mutter to yourself, reaching a finger up to your neck to brush over the line. It's painless, but you can feel the slight indent in your skin, where it's healed over. It takes a moment to realize that this will never go - that you're going to have to live with this now. This is part of you.

You breathe in deeply, moving your hand from your scar. It's the strangest feeling, seeing that on yourself. You know you would have been stupid to think you would have come out of a car crash that induced a six month coma without being changed at all, but... you hadn't expected this.

But it could have been a lot worse, you reason with yourself. Abbie had told you lots of patients that had come out of a coma came away with speech problems, memory gaps or paralysis. To say that you're lucky is an understatement.

And if it wasn't for Lewis you wouldn't be here at all.

You pull the shirt over your head, covering up your scar. 

The time is quarter to nine.

Once you're changed, you step to the side and survey yourself in the mirror on the wall beside the bed. You have a momentary shock when you meet your own eyes - like you'd forgotten what you look like. But then it's gone, and you're staring at yourself - you, looking just the same as you had before, before the night you got hit. 

The end of the scar is just visible over your shirt if you turn to the side. You tug your sleeve up over it self-consciously, but it does little to help. There's nothing you can do - you're just going to have to get used to walking around with it. 

There's a knock on the door.

"Come in," you call, stepping away from the mirror.

Abbie walks into the room, looks at you, and beams. "You look fantastic!" she says. "I've - I've never seen you not in hospital clothes."