3 - Liar

Stupid.

You knew something like this would happen - how could you have been so ignorant?

Of all people, Sips.

It could have been anyone else. Kim, Sjin, Duncan - Turps, even, but not Sips. He'll probably spread the word, and then you'll be the joke of the office. And then... what will Lewis think?

You pray to God that Sips hasn't told anyone. And if he has...

______________________________________________________

A week later...

"So you're going?" Lewis asks.

"Where to?"

"i57," Sjin murmurs, without turning around from his monitor.

"And the Gadget Show," Kim puts in from the other side of the room.

You roll your eyes. "Yeah, of course I'm going. Why wouldn't I?"

Lewis shrugs. "Just making sure."

"Okay. Birmingham NEC?"

"Birmingham NEC," Lewis confirms. "I think you'll have to put something out on your channel about it - tickets, signings and that crap."

You nod. "I might as well film that today - I've got fuck all to do at the moment."

"Mark emailed you the details about it, I think."

"What, Turps?"

"Mark Hulmes."

"Alright, thanks."

"Oh, and..." Lewis bursts out laughing. "I've just realised."

"What?" You frown.

"It's going to be your first pub quiz, isn't it?"

"Oh. Christ, yeah." You sigh dramatically. "I've been told bad things about the pub quiz."

"You'll come, won't you?" Lewis asks hopefully.

"Yeah, I'll come - who am I to turn down a chance to get wasted and show off my superior gaming knowledge?"

"You're on my team, then."

"Um, okay."

  ______________________________________________________

You bump into Sips on your way out of the common room. You smile at him, hoping he won't stop you to talk. You're out of luck, of course.

"Hey," he says. "Can we talk?"

"Sure, yeah," you say, suppressing an exasperated sigh and turning to face Sips.

"Yeah, maybe somewhere more private," he adds quietly as Turps walks past the other end of the corridor.

"Okay. My office?"

"Yep." 

Once you've shut the door, he says, "Have you asked him yet?"

"Asked Lewis about... me?"

"Yeah."

You sigh. "No." 

"But you've had a whole week!"

"Christ Sips, you make it sound like that's a long time!"

"I'm sure he likes you," Sips adds, ignoring you. "Haven't you noticed?"

You frown. "No?"

Sips shakes his head exasperatedly. "Talk to him. Ask him out. Who's he to say no?"