13 - Conversations with Peeps

"Lewis," you say, "I don't know what else I've got. But shit's going to go down if I move in with you."

He frowns. "What do you mean?"

"People in the office'll find out - and I don't want rumours about us spreading about like that, you know? It kind of makes me uncomfortable. And Lewis... we're not together.

"Oh," he says a little awkwardly. "Yeah - I mean, I don't mean, like, sleeping in the same bed or anything - I meant I've got a spare room you could use. We could be, like, roommates."

"I know, I know," you say quickly, feeling heat rise to your cheeks. "But even so..."

"It'll just be temporary, while you find a new place."

"But it'll cost you to feed an extra mouth."

"It's no problem. We could even take it in turns to clean up, do the cooking and all that if it really means that much to you. Because it doesn't mean shit to me, to be honest - I'm just helping you out. Like friends do, you know."

You realise that this is really all you've got, if the landlord does kick you out, and if you don't earn a few hundred thousand quid in the next few weeks - you're going to be living in the same house as Lewis. 

"You," you say, "are the best friend I've ever had. You know that?"

Lewis grins. "You're right. I'm awesome."

You check your watch. "I should probably head home now. Anyway, thanks for the food and all that."

"No problem." 

"And I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Yeah, see you."

____________________________________________________

Thursday morning, later that week

"Sips," you say, smiling, even though you know he's miles away from you and can't see you.

"Hey. You haven't called me in ages, what's going on?"

"Yeah, sorry 'bout that," you say. "But a lot's been happening. You know that thing I told you about Lewis a while ago?"

"I know, I know, you made up with him..."

You frown. "Did someone tell you?"

There's a crackle of a sigh over the phone. "No. I guessed."

"How?"

"Dunno. I kind of knew you and Lewis were going to make up at some point."

"What, I'm that predictable?"

"Hell, yeah. Anyway, fill me in with the details. I wanna know how this happened."

"Well." And you tell him about how you heard the argument between Lewis and his girlfriend, your awkward encounter after the party when you went to the bathroom, how the pub quiz and the events afterwards unfolded, the coach home, and the Factorio stream and what happened after

"Jeez," Sips says when you've finally finished. "And you're only telling me this now?"

You sigh. "Sorry, Sips. A lot's been going on." 

"Anyway, sounds good. Seems like you're picking up a lot of confidence now, and rightly so, too." You imagine Sips smirking on the other end of the line. "I watched the Monday stream, by the way."

"Oh. Oh God."

"Yup. It was pretty fucking hilarious, I'm just going to say."

"It was?"