14 - Stuff Happens at the Gadget Show

A/N: so previously, as you might have noticed, I tried to do really deep one-word chapter titles - but from now on, since that proved way too hard (and probably kind of meaningless to  you guys), I'm going to stick with longer less serious ones that help summarise the chapter a little better. Enjoy.

Also, for you Smith fangirls, there's a bit of a you/Smith element.

Four hours of sleep that night.

As planned, you pick up both Duncan and Lewis and drive them over to the office.

"Thanks for this, (Y/N)," Duncan says.

"Yeah, thanks," Lewis says.

"No problem. Sleep okay?"

"No," both of them say at the same time.

"Neither. Looking forward to it."

"Yes," they say.

"Jesus, you could sound more enthusiastic about it."

"Yes," Lewis sighs.

"It's going to be great guys!"

"We know. We're just too tired to talk," Duncan protests.

"Okay."

______________________________________________________

You manage to get a window seat in front of Hat Films just like last time, and Lewis sets across from you; you both have a silent mutual agreement now to not get too close with each other when in front of everyone else, just to avoid circulating rumours or embarrassing yourselves.

"Too fucking early," you hear Smith moan from behind you.

"True that," you say, turning round. "You looking forward to it?"

"Yeah. I would be a little more enthusiastic, but we're just all too fucking tired to talk."

You grin, remembering Duncan's answer earlier. "The party's going to be great."

"Whoa, did someone say party?" Ross grins, leaning in to peek at you through the gap in the seats in front of him. 

"Yeah, second night."

"Shit, we're going to be tearing up the place, aren't we, lads?" Ross says enthusiastically, shaking Smith's shoulder beside him.

"Fuck off, mate," Smith mutters. "Too fucking early." He looks up at you and rolls his eyes; you grin back.

"Sleep, mate," you say. "We've got hours ahead."

"What, and have Trott take a million mugs of me lying in my seat snoring? I don't think so."

"Don't worry. If he tries anything..." You punch your hand and look down at Trott menacingly. "I'll punch his dick."

"I like the way you talk," Smith grins, fixing your eyes with his hypnotically intense blue ones. "Sounds like I'm rubbing off on you. Trott, you hear her?"

"Yeah," he murmurs, dejected, looking up at you with a mix of fear and annoyance and sarcasm. 

"By the way," Smith adds, leaning forwards, voice lowering to a whisper, "don't actually punch him in the dick. It really hurts."

"Jesus, you think I'm that harsh? No, I'm not going to."

"Good." He leans back in his chair.

You hesitate. "How do you know, anyway?"

He shrugged, face splitting into a mischievous grin. "Might tell you another time. You going to watch me sleep, or turn away?"

"Fuck you," you say, swivelling back to face the empty seat in front of you.