18 - Moving In

It's weird, and you've never noticed it before, but looking around, you realise that you have very, very few possessions at all.

I mean, you've packed away some various ornaments you've found lying around - empty photo frames, assorted china plates, a weird wooden elephant model; and you've packed some posters and books too, of course. But you've decided against furniture - too much hassle.

And staring at that pile of boxes in the corner, there's really not much at all you're bringing with you.

So here you are, admiring the strangely bare flat that you once called home, no matter how much you hated it.

The phone rings.

Without bothering to look at the name on it, you accept the call. "Hey Lewis."

"Hey," he says. "Um, I'm just parking up outside -"

"Okay," you interrupt him. "I'm coming out right now."

"Great, thanks," Lewis says. "I just wanted to warn you though - Chris is here with me."

"Hey," a deep voice says through your speakers. "I've come to help carry boxes."

You laugh. "Hey Sips. Well - okay. Great. Well, three heads are better than two."

Lewis snorts. "See you in a bit."

_________________________________________

"This place is pretty neat," Sips says, running his palm along the wallpaper as you guide him and Lewis down the corridor to your door. 

You sigh. "Thanks, Sips. You're making me feel great."

He laughs. "You bet I am." He hesitates. "Sorry."

"This one, if I remember correctly...?" Lewis asks, stopping next to your door.

"Hey, how do you know?" Sips says, narrowing his eyes in mock suspicion.

"Oh, don't mind Lewis, he just stalks me," you say, unlocking your door. "Anyway - welcome to sanctuary."

Sips whistles, stepping through, and you look over at him. "What, is it good or bad?" you ask.

"No idea," Sips admits.

"Go make yourself a drink," you say, waving him off to the kitchen. "There's some coffee I haven't thrown away yet in the cupboard." You turn to Lewis, who smiles a little sadly. "How're you?"

"Okay," he says, looking around the room. "It looks different without all the posters and stuff," he comments. "Like - bare."

You nod your agreement.

"You guys want coffee or something?" Sips calls from the kitchen.

"Sounds great, Chris," Lewis says, and turns to look at you expectantly.

"No thanks," you answer. You find yourself staring around your room, focusing in on every detail - that chip in the wall next to the sofa that had been there from when you moved in; the coffee stain in the carpet; the cupboard in the corner you never used in your whole time here, but was permanently half-open because the doors didn't quite shut.

"I know I always said I hated this place," you say. Lewis turns.

"Yeah?" 

"But I'm going to miss it," you admit. 

He bites his lip. "Me too, you know. I liked coming back here after Deck Rippers. Comfy feel to it."

You felt his arm settling on your shoulder a little cautiously, and lay your head on his shoulder, encouraging him. You smile sadly.