6 - Conflict

If he doesn't want to tell you, he doesn't want to tell you - and he's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to.

You shouldn't resent him for that - but it's changed the way you feel about him completely. How much is he hiding from you? How much is he hiding from everyone?

Have you done something for him to not like you anymore? But thinking back, no, that doesn't seem right at all - and you haven't really done anything for him to not like you - have you?

Maybe you should tell him you know he's got a girlfriend. He might explain.

Making your final decision, you get to your feet to make your way to Lewis' office.

"Hiya," he says as he answers your door.

"Hey, Lewis," you say. "I need to talk to you about something."

He nods, and opens the door wider for you so you can go in. "Come on in."

He shuts the door and offers you his spare seat. "What do you want to talk to me about?"

And then you feel your spurt of confidence drain away immediately, because Lewis is making the most innocent, worried face that you know no liar would be able to make - he's genuinely worried for you.

"I, er -"

"I thought you wanted to talk to me about something," he says, raising an eyebrow. "I won't judge you, promise," he adds, laughing.

"Have you been hiding anything from me recently, Lewis?" you interrupt abruptly.

"Um, what?"

You repeat your question.

His moment of hesitation betrays him. "No, I don't think so. Hiding what, anyway?"

"Just, you know, info."

"About what?"

"You."

He frowns. "I'm not sure I know what you mean..."

"You know exactly what you mean, Lewis," you say - it comes out a little angrier than you thought it would, and you immediately feel guilty. "Look, I'm sorry, I shouldn't be interrogating you like this -"

Lewis snorts. "You're right. You shouldn't be."

And then you stop apologising immediately, because you're shocked. "I said I was sorry," you say, annoyed. "There was no need for that."

"There was no need for anything you've said since you walked into this room," Lewis says. His cinnamon eyes, which had been kind and comforting, have turned harder and angrier - a side you've never before seen in Lewis. 

"Well, I'm sorry I wanted to talk to you about something important!" 

"Asking me if I'm keeping any secrets is hardly what I call important."

"Well, whether it's important or not, could you just answer my question, please?"

"I'm not very sure what you expect me to answer!" His eyes flash furiously, but you're not scared, or guilty anymore. Because all of that is overshadowed by an overwhelming, never felt before anger.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, Lewis. Don't deny it!"

"Go on, then," he snarls. "Tell me what I've been hiding from you all this time, then."

"Fine!" You take a deep breath. "You've got a new girlfriend, Lewis. And you hid it from me for some reason, and all I wanted you to do was explain yourself."