sixteen

sixteen

Luke sat on Michael's couch half an hour after eleven. He was snacking on a container of Goldfish, watching Mike wander around his own apartment and get ready for bed.

Mike peaked his head from his bathroom, a toothbrush in his mouth. "Are you staying the night?" Michael asked, toothpaste dripping from the corners of his mouth.

"Is that okay?"

He nodded. "I doubt my roommate will even show up and notice." Michael went back into his bathroom to spit. He pushed a headband into his hair before turning off the light and joining Luke in the main area.

"I've never met your roommate."

Michael went through his pantry, trying to find something that would please his midnight snacking needs. "He works as a DJ, he's always out and about at night. Especially weekends." He wanted to eat everything, but then tasted the minty flavor from his toothpaste and realized that, no, he shouldn't eat.

"That's pretty cool."

Mike shrugged. "His name is Alex. He pays rent on time and buys his share of groceries. That's all that matters, really." He made his way over to Luke, sitting on the opposite side of the couch.

He stretched out his feet, resting his ankles on Luke's lap.

Luke smiled and rested his hands on top of Michael's ankles, his fingers resting comfortably on the warm skin. It was quiet for a few minutes before Luke began to speak once more, "I've got a question for you."

Michael rested a hand behind his head and closed his eyes. "I probably have an answer."

"What are we?"

Everything was so calming and peaceful until those three words came falling from Luke's mouth. Michael could feel his breathing come to a halt as he began to think.

"We're friends," he said, "we're co-workers, we've got some benefits. I don't know." Michael brought his feet back to his own body, curling up.

"You—," Luke paused, "—you don't want to be anything more?"

Michael has had this conversation with too many partners, Mike was on the verge of tears as he had to deal with this once more. "I'm not in for exclusive relationships, you know that."

"Do you plan on never settling down? Don't you want, like, a family at some point? Get married?"

Mike opened his eyes, bringing his hands to his forehead and rubbing at his temples. "I don't know, Luke," he said, getting more bothered by the minute. "The more I think about it, all of that seems so overrated to me."

"You really never wanna settle down?"

Michael shook his head. "I don't think so. I'm content with my current life." He looked down at Luke, Luke already looking at him.

The blonde broke their eye contact as he stood up, brushing crumbs off of his sweatpants. "I think I should go."

Mike sighed, "Don't be pissed off. I like what we have, what's the problem?"

"I don't want to just mess around," Luke said. He grabbed his coat from the side table, resting it in the crook of his elbow.

"I'm not good at relationships. I'm sorry if you can't respect that," he spat out. Michael wasn't actually apologetic. If Luke couldn't respect that Mike only wanted to be friends, then that was Luke's problem, not Michael's.

Michael cherished his and Luke's relationship, any feeling stronger that he might have once had was long gone.

Luke missed his chance.

"You're right, it's whatever. I'm not going to waste my time, though."

Michael shrugged. "I didn't realize our friendship was a waste of your time."

"Stop making me sound like a fuckboy, Michael."

"I'm just stating the facts." Mike stood up, meeting Luke at his front door. He rested his hands on Luke's broad back, feeling into his muscles. "You know you want to stay over. You don't wanna go back out in the snow, Luke."

He didn't say anything.

"Let's go to bed, we can talk about this in the morning." Michael led him away from the front door, tucking him into bed and cuddling up to his chest.

Their conversation never happened.