thirty nine

thirty nine

Irwin & Co. didn't have a big office. They didn't have a small office—it was decent sized, they had enough room for what they needed.

Ashton didn't realized that they lacked having a meeting room until they needed a meeting room. There usually weren't many reasons to have meetings. If the three partners needed to meet, they'd sit in Ashton's office and discuss matters.

Everything else was done in one of the offices or observation rooms.

Ashton had a solid hour to figure it all out.

Luke was hanging around the secretary desk when Ashton called him into his office. Michael was already sitting across from Ash's desk, looking down at his hands and picking at his nails.

Luke could tell something was wrong, but he didn't know what. He couldn't pinpoint Michael's emotions.

Luke sat down next to his business partner and partner, still keep a side-eye at the younger man.

"So, Lucas," Ashton starts. He clears his throat before continuing, "Michael and I have been discussing a few very important things over the last few days and we think it's time to get you involved as well."

Luke furrowed his eyebrows and scuffed, "I'm a partner," he reminded the duo, "I'm supposed to be involved in everything."

Ashton sighed, "This attitude needs to stop. You're not my teenage daughter."

He put his hands up in defense, "Fine, continue."

"First, we're planning on opening a west side firm. We're growing and it's time to take the next step." Ashton had the majority of the power, Michael and Luke only shared the other half of what was left over. Whatever Ashton said was bound to happen. "I'm putting Michael in charge of that firm. He will be the head obstetrician gynecology at that campus."

"Oh," Luke responds, looking directly at Michael. Mike had obviously known about this for a solid amount of time, Luke's temper was peaking as that thought occurred through his mind.

"I plan on retiring before the year is up," Ashton reminds both boys, "which leaves the east side firm—this one—to you, Luke."

Luke didn't need much to think over, "I'm obviously okay with this. But, are you, Michael?"

Mike nods, "It was my idea." He's looking at his fingers, still unable to look at his partner. He knew what Luke's next words were going to be and he's been preparing for the hit since the blonde walked in.

"This means we won't be working together, though." Luke looks at Michael as Michael looks up. It takes a millisecond to realize that Michael already knew this. "You don't want to work together?"

"I—I think it'll be healthy to work a little bit away. It'd be the same job, I'd still be forced to communicate with you. We'll be 50/50 partners, as well." Michael's eyes were filled with compassion. And fear.

Ash let out a quick chuckle, "I mean, you guys live together. Stop being such a fucking diva." Ashton leant back in his chair, cracking his knuckles as he watched Luke try to fathom a full thought. "Do you have any questions? Either of you?"

Luke turned back to Ashton and shook his head, "I guess not."

Michael looked at his diva of a boyfriend, "You're mad."

"We'll talk later."

Ash laughed, once more. He found this entire situation hilarious. Ever since Emmi, the head secretary, told Ashton about the duo's little fling, he has found every moment of the two's interaction pure genius. "I can leave you two alone. I've got a meeting to figure out."

Their boss stood up, patting Michael on the back on his way out. He closed his office door behind him.

Michael and Luke could hear Ashton's booming voice gathering around all their nurses and secretaries.

Luke turned to Mike once more, maybe for the last time today. "You didn't tell me?"

"I forgot!" He tried to defend.

"You're being promoted and relocated, Michael! You can't say that!"

Michael sighed, "It wasn't intentional, Honey."

"I don't believe you."

The black-haired man shrugged, "There's nothing I can do about that."

Luke looked at the seat Ashton was once sitting in. He shook his head to nothing in particular. "There's so much happening, so much is changing."

"And it's gonna be great. We're gonna be great." Michael reached out his hands, holding onto Luke's. "Don't freak yourself out. It's nothing big."

Luke shook his head and took his hands away from the comforting ones he's learned to love. "I can't talk about this right now." He stands up, quickly sneaking from Ashton's office and to his own.

Michael is left alone.