twenty one

twenty one

Michael hadn't seen Luke in a while. There were some weeks when the two had completely opposite schedules. Michael would be working a surgery while Luke would have consultants, Mike would be on lunch when Luke would be filing, there were days and weeks like that.

Mike knew that Friday nights were only filled with wine for Luke, sometimes champagne if the blonde was feeling special.

He texted Luke a few times, trying to get his attention. Michael wanted to see his friend, hang out with him and steal his red wine.

Luke didn't respond, didn't even read the messages.

Michael figured he was asleep, but Mike wanted attention.

That's why, at 10:15 p.m., the 28-year-old stood outside Luke's apartment door, looking around for an extra key.

Luke was a smart guy, really. He was also a bit of an idiot, though. Michael lifted up the potted plant to the right of the door, finding a key tucked into the carpet. Mike picked it up, spinning it around in his fingers.

There's no doubt in Michael's mind that Luke often locked himself out of his own apartment. Like he said, Luke is a bit of an idiot.

Mike unlocked his front door, turning on the kitchen light and heading to the fridge first. He'll check up on Luke later, all that heavy lifting (from the plant) meant that Mike deserved a sandwich.

Luke froze in his bed as he heard movement around his apartment.

Was he about to die? Was someone about to kill him? He has so much to live for, he's not ready to die. Is this like Sims? Will the grim reaper come out soon and turn him into a ghost? He's not ready!
He got out of bed, grabbing his alarm clock in case he needed to throw something heavy.

Luke could literally feel himself shaking with fear as he crept out of his bedroom, his bare feet soft on the wood floors.

Michael looking through the fridge, trying to find some type of lean meat. The only thing in Luke's fridge was that fake vegetarian meat the blonde likes and that's disgusting.

Mike closed the fridge. Figuring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich was the best he was going to find in this apartment. What a shame.

Luke peaked his head around the corner, automatically registering the black head of hair as his coworker. He sighed, feeling his body relax. "Dude, what the hell?" He asked, walking into the light.

Mike turned around, scanning Luke up and down. "What?"

"Why're you in my house?"

"This is an apartment." Michael looked down at the plate in front of him, grabbing a knife to smear peanut butter on a slice of bread.

"Michael."

"What were you gonna do with that alarm clock, Luke? Tell the robber/murderer the time?" Michael closed his sandwich, cutting it in two triangles. He jumped up on Luke's kitchen island, crossing his legs over one another and facing the older blonde. He took a bite of his prized possession.

"I don't know," he sighed, placing the clock down. He scratched the back of his head and made himself comfortable against his own cabinets. "Do you need something?"

Mike looked into his hands at the sandwich. "This," he said, gesturing towards the peanut butter and jelly with a bite in it.

"You don't have food in your apartment?"

He took another bite before answering, "It was my week to food shop and I forgot to. I don't know where Alex is, so I came over here."

"You broke into my place for food?"

"What else was I supposed to do?" Michael took another bite, already close to done with the sandwich. "Do you work tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah, 8 a.m., Mike. I was trying to get to bed."

Michael looked him up and down once more. His sweats and tee shirt looked messy, his eyes sagging with exhaustion. "You don't have to pretend you haven't been in bed since 7. We all know you have your bedtime set."

Luke rolled his eyes and turned around. "I'm going back to bed. Feel free to join."

"Are you gonna make me watch Animal Planet?"

"It's educational!" Luke yelled from his bedroom. He got under the sheets, turning on his bedside light for Michael.

He listened to Mike put away his dishes, stopping the dishwasher to put it in before closing it and starting it up once more. Luke could hear him walking around, turning off the lights he's turned on the last half hour.

He could get used to this.

Finally, Michael came to bed, automatically cuddling into Luke's side and resting his head on Luke's chest. He grabbed Luke's laptop from the side table, knowing his password to get Netflix on.

"No horror movies," Luke said, his voice sounding more tired than he looked.

"Fine, you little bitch." Michael scrolled through, finding a show they could binge watch for a bit.

Settling on Skins, the two got comfortable in each others arms.

Luke felt so fitting with Michael. He wanted to be something more, but he knew better than to ask again. As long as he had Michael, he was okay.

Aaaaa eeeeeeee what do yooou think?