thirty

thirty

Monday morning rolled around and Luke was angry.

Tuesday came and Luke was lonely, but too angry to change it.

Wednesday was when Michael tried to come into his office and steal some gummy bears. But, Luke hadn't refilled the gummy bears and only green gummy bears were left. So, Michael turned around.

Thursday was plain, Luke came in at 9 and left at 5. He didn't want to spend the rest of his life like this. He wanted more and he began to doubt if Michael would ever be able to give him what he needs. He didn't want to be stuck in a pool of bad relationships.

He wonders if maybe this is a sign, maybe they're not meant to be. Michael is a child and Luke is ready to settle down.

Friday at 5 in the morning, he met up with Michael as both of their pages went off. Luke was on call at the hospital and Michael was at home sound asleep. Their shared patient—the one having twins—went into labor then shock.

Luke was first to arrive, his mindset already on getting the two healthy babies out while making sure their mother stayed stable.

Michael was in a rush, the procedure was a fourth of the way through and his hands were barely washed.

The three minute antimicrobial scrub was done and Michael stood next to Luke. They were too focused, all their feelings set aside as their emergency c-section took place.

It wasn't until later that they were forced to talk. Michael followed Luke from the emergency wing to the doctors lounge. "Luke, talk," Mike demanded as he closed the door behind himself.

A click of the lock filled the silent room. "I don't want to," Luke responded. He laid on the couch with a green apple, munching on the fruit whole. He was an angry eater.

"I don't understand why you're being so hostile, what did I do?" Michael sat down on the wooden coffee table inches from Luke. He leant forward, his hands folded in between his open legs. His face was filled with concern, he never wanted to hurt Luke.

He didn't realize he was always hurting Luke.

"You slept with Matty," Luke spoke softly, afraid of Michael hearing his voice crack. "You slept with him when you promise you'd be monogamous."

"What? That was like six months ago—."

"I went by your place Sunday morning to apologize and Matty was there, Michael, he was leaving your apartment."

Michael had his eyebrows furrowed as he had no memory of this. It hit him like a dodge ball in seventh grade gym class. He leant back, letting out a laugh. "You idiot, he's dating Alex. He was leaving the apartment I share with Alex, Matty's boyfriend."

Luke looked over, he watched Michael shake his head a few more times, a small chuckle still leaving his lips. "It hurt me."

"Luke, I promise you, I didn't sleep with him. I'm committed to you and only you." Michael leant forward once more, grabbing Luke's hand with both of his. He squeezed the other man's knuckles before bringing them up to his lips and kissing his bent knuckles. "I'm not what you're looking for but I'm getting closer to being that. Give me time, I'll get there."

Luke swallowed a lump in his throat before nodding his head. Sadly, he spoke, "Okay." Luke is getting tired of waiting around. Always waiting, never doing. 

You guys are so harsh on Michael....,,,,,,,,,,,