Chapter 40

**6-5-16**

Can we just talk about I predicted the future in the chapter?! GAAHHH!!!

**Mitch's POV**

"Daddy!" My sweaty daughter comes running to me, hugging my waist. "That's your dad?" A girl a little older cocks her hip. "Why yes. No photos please." She snaps, "Ready to go?" I poke her nose. "Yep!" I grab her hand and cheer bag, walking her into the lobby of California All-Stars. "Mitch wait!" I hear Orby's voice, stopping Karlie in her tracks. "Karlie..." I quietly groan, "Yes Orby?" I turn around and see him walking up to me, "Hey! I just wanted to let you know that results if she made it or not will be announced tonight." He smiles at me and I crack a smile back. "But," there it is. "Karlie had a little attitude problem with one of the girls. Nothing serious and she's not in trouble just was told to tell you." He looks around me and at Karlie. "I know what she said, but you still need to just come tell one of us, okay?" He smiles as she nods, "She was making fun of her size." Orby looks at me, "We handled it." I nod, "Thanks." I put on my hood and we leave the gym, walking to the car. Once safely in the car, I take my hood off. "Where's Papa?" She asks and I think about earlier.

"What do you mean you're leaving?!" I get in Scott's face, since he was avoiding eye contact with me, "I'm just going home for a few days Mitchie... It's serious..." I look at him, tensing. "What do you mean serious?" I ask, "I don't want to talk about it." He simply replies, turning back to his bag. "Scott Richard. Tell me." I snap, "I. Do. Not. Want. To. Talk. About. It. Okay?" He puts clothes in a bag between every word. "You promised. No secrets anymore. Remember?" I remind him what he told me the night before we got married. "You're right. Although this isn't a secret, I still should tell you. Sorry." He sighs. "Mitchie, my uncle's really sick, and he doesn't have much longer." I freeze, "Uncle Tommy...?" I remember the man he was closer to than probably his own parents. "Yeah..." I see tears in his eyes, "Oh baby," I hug the man that's twice my size as he breaks down, "I'm sorry for freaking out." I whisper in his ear. He cries for a while and I sit us down, "God, I love you." Scott laughs when he calms down. "I love you too." I grin as he moves for a kiss. Our lips touch for a minute and then my phone blares an alarm, scarring both of us. "Holy shit!" Scott yells as I look at my phone, "We need to go get Karlie." I explain, turning off the alarm. "Oh, babe, I need to get to the airport..." I can tell he's lying, "Scott." I warn, "I don't wanna break down in front of Karlie. She sees me as the strongest person in her life, remember?" He points to the paper in a frame on his nightstand. Karlie made it in school, two years ago, it's about her family, 'My Papa is the strongest man alive. And he always protects me and my Daddy.' I read again, "Fine. This one time." He grins and hugs me, "Thank you Mitchie Moo." "I really hate that nickname." "I know." He laughs.

"Papa's going on a trip." I answer her, starting the car, "Without us?" She questions, "Yeah honey, it's all of the sudden and you can't miss school." I come up with a common parent excuse, "Oh, where's he going?" "Home, Texas." I answer honestly. "That's a long ways away..." She trails off as I hit traffic, Shit. I look up at her and she's tearing up. "Oh Karlie," I reach back and put a hand on her knee, "I don't want Papa to go." I cries, "Hey, it's okay, he won't be gone long." I calm her down as traffic lets up. We get home and Scott's gone. "Can we finish my room when I get done with my bath?" I look back at my very sweaty daughter, smiling, "Sure baby." 

"Yay!" Karlie runs in a circle around her room. "No more boxes!" I laugh as I look around her room. She wanted to keep the purple and teal, so we just traded some things out, furniture and decor mainly. I finished putting her clothes away and when I turn around Karlie does some kind of tumbling across her room. And that's why she got the bigger room. I walk around our new house, loving every part. I can't believe it took us two years to find a house. I look out the window, seeing the beach, something Scott wished for, and our nice backyard with a pool, a bonus that just so happened to be here. I smile, moving around the big living room, and I walk to the filming room we created for Superfruit, and it just serves as a media room. I take a cup off of Scott's desk that's got some orange juice in it. "Really Scott?" I say out loud, taking it to the fairly large kitchen. After rinsing it out, Karlie comes running in the room, "Daddy?" She asks, "Can I go play outside?" Wyatt meows wildly, "If you feed the cat for me." I get out the cat food, handing her a cup full as my phone rings. "Hello?" I answer as Karlie runs outside, heading straight for her treehouse her, Scott, Tommy and Scott's dad built when he was visiting us. "Hey!" I hear the sweet voice of Kirstie, "Someone sounds happy!" I laugh when she giggles. "I have a good reason." I can hear the excitement in her voice. "What happened?" I ask suspiciously. "Weelll." She pauses, "Well?!" I exclaim as she laughs, "Stuff happened while I was in Mexico." I roll my eyes, "Tell me!" "Okay okay! Let's put it this way, you need to come with me to pick out a flawless white dress soon." She sends me into a scream, "Oh my God!" I squeal like a little girl, "No way!" "Yes!" She laughs, "Where's Scott? Did he hear?" She asks after laughing at my fangirling, "Oh, umm..." I am reminded of my husband's world crashing around him. "You see... He's on a plane to Dallas."