Chapter 12

Mike's POV

When Liz "squeed", as she likes to call it, I realized in how much trouble we were in and that we were doomed.

She just had to let the fangirl take over, didn't she?

We should have ran, but we were frozen. I didn't even think of using my powers to get us out of there. Now, you might say we were overreacting, but Sophie was scary even when she was calm. Seeing her mad was just terrifying.

"Guys, what the hell?" Jake asked calmly.

"We just didn't want you to be mad at each other." Liz says as if she is a five-year-old and Sophie looks at her and then at me with an irritating look in her eyes.

"I'm out of here." She says at last and goes away.

After she is out of sight, we speak again.

"Well, that was one way to ruin the moment..." I say.

"Don't blame it on me!" Liz replies out of nowhere.

"I am not blaming you!" I talk back.

"Guys! Don't fight now! You just did all this to keep me and Sophia from fighting." Jake cuts in. "Anyway, I have to go, I will meet you later at the hotel." he said and he left too. I turned to Liz.

"Well done." I say sarcastically.

"I told you, not my fault. It was the fangirl that lives inside me." She replies.

"Dammit... What now?" I ask her.

"No idea. If you had let me to play matchmaking..." I interrupt her right there.

"You played matchmaking anyway! They simply hugged and you nearly fainted!"

"I was trying to supress my emotions." She says in a comically serious tone. "Come on, you know you can't hold a grudge on me." She laughs and she is right. I have tried, trust me.

"So... Wanna get Charlie and go get some ice cream to plot another meeting for the two of them?" I ask her.

"About Charlie... I don't trust him much." What the hell?!

"What?! Why?" I ask.

"He has been very secretive. Don't you dare tell him I said that!" The others still didn't know about Charlie's promotion and they weren't going to find out from me. Even though he told me about it, he didn't tell me why he wanted to keep it a secret.

"You do  have a point there, but he might just have family issues at the moment. Maybe he has argued with his parents and wants to keep it down, with Sophie's dad dying and all." I defend him.

"I guess you're right... It wouldn't be a first..." she says clearly unconvinced. "So what about that ice-cream?" And she clearly didn't want Charlie around.

And I guess we still had some time for ice-cream before going to meet with the others.

*

After savoring our ice-creams, both of us went home to get ready. I arrived at the hotel roof an hour later.

Sophie was already there, all alone. Dammit, I am dead. She wasn't wearing her glasses, so she was probably wearing contact lenses because she really couldn't see without them. Trust me.

"So you actually showed up. I wasn't sure you would." She said with that intimidating tone that scares the hell out of everyone. She knew it, that's why she used it.

"Of course I showed up, why wouldn't I?" I ask her. Truth is, I was embarrassed and it wasn't even my fault. Liz was the one to blame, mostly at least.

"Oh, I don't know. Why should know, anyway?" She said a glare threatening to appear in her eyes. Sophie is scary, that's all I have to say.

"Look, I am sorry, okay? Now stop scaring me."

"Nope." she smirks. Dammit, I am doomed.

She must have read my thoughts because she laughed. Okay, now I am not just scared, I am totally creeped out.

And then Jake arrived. He ran up the hotel's wall, which was pretty damn cool. So, saved by the bell, right? I hope...

Jake wasn't so mad and that made Sophie madder. At least she wouldn't try anything scary with him around.

A few minutes later Liz and Charlie arrived too. When I saw them, I remembered the conversation I had with Liz earlier at the ice-cream parlor. She had some points, like Charlie's promotion a few days ago, about which he didn't want to talk about, but other than that I couldn't see anything suspicious about him. Why would Liz think he is hiding stuff from us?

"We need to split up. Sophie bought bugs for all of us so we can talk. If anything goes wrong it is up to Mike. You do your thing and get us out of there." Charlie starts.

"I could try and stop it for everyone but us, but I am not sure if I can." I suggest.

"So what are the teams?" Sophie asked. She had a gleam in her eyes that terrified me.

"I made the plan, two teams, one of two and one of three." Charlie begins.

"So it's boys and girls?" Sophie asks again.

"No, you're with Jake and I am with Liz and Mike." Dammit. I hope she doesn't kill him.

"Uhm... Liz, wanna trade?" Jake asks and she smirks.

"Nope!" She replies in the same way Sophie replied to me earlier. Oh, the irony...

"Dammit, Liz... I feel like you don't like me anymore..." Sophie joins in.

"No trades, guys! You are not taking this seriously!" Charlie argues.

*

Patrol with Charlie and Liz wasn't so bad. We caught a bank robber and a car thief and were doing pretty well until we heard Jake through our earpieces.

"What's wro--" Charlie asked.

"Bank robbers, hostages, bombs and Sop-- Illusion, is inside." we hear Jake. He sounds really worried.

"Who the hell robs a bank and has hostages  in the middle of the night?" Liz asked.

"That's not the point! What do we do? Do I freeze everything and go get them or do we all go now?" I ask.

"We all go." Charlie replies. "What bank?" he asks Jake through the wire.

"The big one." Jake answers. Yeah, that's how we separate them. Don't judge.

"We're coming. Tell Sophie." I tell him and we leave.