Chapter 22

Sophie's POV (there will be many from now on)

Liz left to get up the bridge and talk Charlie out of this nonsense.

I simply concentrated on the argument taking place up there. Charlie was threatening to throw the school bus, which was full of teenagers, down and Jake was trying to talk him out of it.

Then Jake, for some unknown reason, ran towards Charlie, who managed to hit him in the stomach despite the speed, and send him flying off the bridge.

"No!" I screamed. Charlie must have realized what he did, because he jumped to catch Jake, but in doing so, he let go of the bus, which started falling off from the other side.

The bridge was very high. There was no hope for anyone that fell from it.

Jake's last words before he went up there were to save the bus in case it fell and that's what I was going to do. I couldn't concentrate on both him and the school bus, and I wasn't strong enough to lift them both, but I had to try.

My eyes filled with tears as I tried to lift the bus and help it land, while trying to slow down Jake's fall.

It didn't do much good, but if he was lucky he would survive. As I helped the bus land, I slowed down his fall even more.

Blood was running from my nose because of the pressure and I was exhausted. I couldn't do much.

He fell on his back on the road and I ran to help him.

He was unconscious, I check if he is breathing- barely. I hug him tightly and cry even more.

"I'm sorry..." I whisper.

His "MARVEL" t-shirt is seriously ripped on the side and he has a very bad cut from the fall. Liz came behind me and touched my shoulder.

"We need get him another t-shirt and take him to the hospital." She nods.

That's when Mike arrives to the rescue.

"I will take you all at his house..." He says running towards us. Everything must have been live on the news.

I blinked and when I opened my eyes we were back at Jake's. I was still crying and I couldn't top sobbing.

"Sophie, go change. Mike will take care of him." Liz says.

"No! This is all my fault! I am going to the hospital with them! Call his grandpa and tell him he was on the bus." I tell her and go change quickly before she can protest.

When Mike and I were ready, we took Jake, and when I blinked again Mike was panting next to me at the hospital.

"Help! He-- he is dying!" I tell the doctors. Liz arrived an hour later with his grandpa.

I wouldn't eat, I wouldn't drink. All I did was blame myself and cry. The others were worried too, but they didn't have to feel the guilt too.

The clock ticked by, hours and hours passed. Jake's grandpa wasn't sure what had happened, but was as worried as I was.

"Mr Light, you can go home... I will stay here, you can come back tomorrow." I tell him. He looked pretty tired and would have protested if he wasn't, but he nodded and left.

I was still there with Liz and Mike. The latter had called his mother and told her that Jake was in the hospital, so she wouldn't worry about her son.

At around three in the morning, Charlie came walking down the corridor. I darted up and went towards him, ignoring Mike and Liz. I walk up to him and slap him as hard as I can cross the face. The sound of the hit made a lot of people to turn and look at us, but I didn't care.

"What the hell do you think you are doing here?" I glare at him.

"I came to see my friend." He says naturally.

"If he was your friend you wouldn't have shoved him off a bridge, or betray him. You betrayed all of us. Get the hell out of here, now."

"Sophie, I didn't mean to, I swear!"

"Yeah, but you did it anyway. Get out." I say pointing towards the elevator. "Oh and if anything happens to him I will find you and you are dead." I threaten.

He just left silently and I returned to my seat.

"Don't torture yourself, he isn't worth it." Liz says.

"Yeah, but if something happens to Jake it will be his fault and my fault. He pushed him off the bridge and I saved a bunch of strangers instead of one of my closest friends..."

"You acted like a hero. Besides, that's what he told you to do before he went up there." She replied.

"And since when to I obey people?" I ask.

Then doctors started swarming his room, running like crazy. His heart was stopping. Jake was dying.

I stood up and ran inside, but the doctors wouldn't let me in. Mike came and held me back, so that I wouldn't get in the room.

I kept crying and hitting him so he would let me go in, but he just pulled me away from the door.

"Sophie, calm down and let them do their job. They are trying their best to save him." His eyes were red and Liz was crying at her seat.

"No! Please let me go!" He made me sit down and fell on his knees in front of me.

"Sophie, don't move, stay here." He said.

"Mike, he is dying!" I sobbed. This wasn't happening, I refused to believe it.

Finally a doctor came and said he was stabilized, but I wasn't having it.

I stood up and went down the corridor.

"Where are you going?" Liz asked.

"Take care of somebody." I say.

I warned Charlie- anyt. It wouldn't make Jake feel any better but it would help me.

I went home and put my "suit" on, then called him.

"At the old warehouse, ten minutes." Is all I tell him and I hang up.

And I was sure he would show up, because he was curious.

Curiosity killed the cat.