Chapter 7

Liz's POV

Today there was no meeting, so I skipped school.

Just kidding, it's Saturday.

My mom hadn't touched alcohol for two days, which was strange and it worried me. Normally, a kid would be worried if their parents started  drinking. Well, in my case it is the opposite. My mom hasn't been sober since my dad went to jail, which is around 5 years.

It has been hard being the adult at the age of 10 and in a broken family. Dad kept his business secret, so it was a huge shock for mom when she found out daddy was actually a drug dealer. Do you sense the sarcasm? I hope you do. I hate my dad. His actions took my childhood from me and made me the responsible one in the family. I was 10 and I had to take care of my alcoholic mom.

So, yes, you can understand why I never visited the scum.

Now you are going to say that I am not any better, running around robbing banks and people and shops, but I am doing it because I need to take care of my mom and I never steal a big amount of money. My dad made her an alcoholic, not that he wanted to, but he did it. My mom can't hold a job for longer than a week and I am trying to earn money to get her in rehab. My dad had no excuse for running around selling drugs. He deserved what he got.

And if you must know how I don't get caught, that's out of sheer luck. Do not try it (well of course you wouldn't try it, but I felt the need to say it- I don't know, I've always wanted to say that).

And in case you were wondering how my mom isn't in rehab yet, she finds the money and goes to buy more alcohol.

Do not go saying I am a softie. I just care about my mom, that's all.

But now my mom looked okay, but I couldn't help but wonder, how? I mean, I return one day to wake her and she is just fine. Not that I'm complaining, but still... It's weird.

Speaking of weird, nobody had called today, like Sophie, Mike, Jake or Charlie. Things were quiet.

That's when I heard the door open. My mom had returned from work. I went to the living room to see her taking her coat off.

"Hello, honey! How was your day?" she asked.

"Uhm... Boring. My friends and I aren't meeting today." I replied.

"Good! We are going out." I wasn't expecting that. She looked at me. "What are you waiting for? Go get dressed!" she said and I obeyed.

I didn't actually get dressed. I just shifted my appearance. One of the perks of shape-shifting is unlimited wardrobe. And don't go asking why I ordered the suit, I try to be as normal as I can. And it would be unfair for the others to pay for their suits, when I can just shift and have it.

"So, what's the occasion?" I ask my mom as we leave the house.

"Can't a mother take her child out for dinner?" she says and I stare at her.

"Okay, okay. We need to talk." she continues with the words most people fear.

We arrived at an old family restaurant we used to go before the filthy scum went to jail, where he belonged. It was near our  house, which was convenient, since the car had broken down because of its being idle for so many years.

The food there was always delicious. The air was always filled with scents from the kitchen and the flowers around the tables. All in all, it was always perfect and enjoyable.

Until the day my dad was arrested. We were out again and a policeman asked a neighbor of ours about our location. She told him everything. My dad was taken into custody and the rest is history.

I wonder why my mom brought me here.

We sat at a small table in a corner and ordered our food. When we were served, my mom spoke.

"You must be wondering why I want to talk to you." she said.

"A couple ideas did  cross my mind." I replied coldly. I don't know why, but something felt off about my mom. However my harsh reply, she ignored me and continued.

"I know I haven't been the mother you deserve. When your father went to jail... I felt alone with a huge responsibility and the shame of your dad's actions. It wasn't your fault all of this happened and you deserve something better than that." Well, of course it isn't my fault, I thought. At least she was being honest, I think.

"It wasn't the neighbor that gave away your dad's location." she said.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I asked not wanting to believe what she was about to say.

"did. I found money in a bag of his and some drugs and called the police. I told them to wait for the right moment so that I wouldn't look like a monster to you; but then the guilt took over. I had taken your father from you for the greater good. And just like that, I became an embarrassing excuse of a mother. I needed to talk to you about it." I stared at her.

"And how the hell did you remember that you actually have a daughter to take care of and became sober for once in your life?" I told her trying to conceal my anger until we got home. That's why she wanted to go out. She didn't want me to yell at her. She knew I wouldn't make a scene, even though I don't know how.

"I-- I-" she started, but I cut her off.

"You what, mom? Nevermind, I don't want to hear it. I will stay at a friend's for tonight." I stood up and left her. On my way home to get my toothbrush, I called Sophie. She sounded weird, as if she was crying.

She said she was going to ask me for a sleepover anyway. I grabbed my stuff and went to her house.

When I said she sounded as if she was crying, it was nothing compared to what she looked like. Her eyes were red, she was pale, her hair was a mess and her nose was dripping.

"What happened?" I asked her.

"My dad died..." she said. Okay. At that moment, she had by far the worst luck in the loser squad.

I guess teens with superpowers don't do normal.