Chapter II

I ended up not spilling what I had to tell him.

You know that feeling when you're put on the spot? When you've rehearsed every line in your head and feel ready to deliver a flawless performance, but the moment arrives and everything just falls apart? That's exactly what happened to me three nights ago. I had it all planned out—the words, the timing, the expressions. I was convinced that when the moment came, I would be poised and confident. But when I finally found myself face-to-face with Ethan, my best friend, I ended up blabbering about the weather and my favorite movies instead.

As soon as I stepped inside that coffee shop, I felt my palms go clammy and my stomach twist into knots. The ambiance shifted; suddenly, everything felt too bright, too loud, and I was drowning in anxiety. I could see Ethan sitting at our usual table, his smile wide and inviting. But instead of feeling comforted, I felt like I was being pulled into a tidal wave of fear. Confessing my feelings for him seemed impossible, and the thought of losing him—a friendship that had been my anchor for so long—made me second-guess everything.

Today was the first day of school, and I was still haunted by that encounter. I had switched schools last year because my previous one felt suffocating, filled with memories I didn't want to relive. The decision had been hard, but necessary. I wanted a fresh start, a chance to reinvent myself. But with that new beginning came the weight of my unspoken feelings for Ethan. The thought nagged at me, mingling with the excitement and anxiety of entering a new school year.

As I arrived at Anderson High School, I headed straight to the Dean's office to collect my schedule and, hopefully, get a tour of the school. The building was sprawling, its architecture intimidating yet intriguing. I stepped inside the office, and immediately the scent of fresh paper and polished wood filled my lungs.

"Mr. Anderson will see you now," a woman with a stylish bob and thick-rimmed glasses said, her smile professional yet warm. She wore a crisp white blouse tucked into a black pencil skirt, exuding an air of authority that made me feel slightly more at ease.

I followed her to the office door, where she knocked before entering. She opened it with a flourish, gesturing for me to go in. As soon as I crossed the threshold, the atmosphere shifted again. Mr. Anderson was sitting behind a large oak desk, surrounded by stacks of papers and framed photos of smiling students.

"Please, take a seat, Ms. Jones," he said, his voice deep and authoritative yet welcoming. I settled into the chair beside him and offered a nervous smile. "Welcome to Anderson High School."

"It's a pleasure to be here," I managed, forcing the words out as my heart raced.

He rummaged through a pile of papers, handing me a schedule along with my locker number and combination. "If you have any questions about the school, feel free to ask any of the students. They're usually pretty helpful."

I scanned the paper quickly, nodding at him. "Thank you. I appreciate it."

"I've scheduled a tour for you at lunchtime," he continued, tapping at his computer. "Does that sound good?"

"Any time is fine," I said, my smile feeling more genuine this time. I stood up, eager to escape the confines of his office. "May I leave now? I don't want to be late for class."

"Of course. Just check the bulletin board outside for any announcements," he replied. "I've already informed your first-period teacher about your arrival."

"Great, thank you!" I said, my relief palpable as I headed toward the door. I twisted the knob awkwardly and stepped out, almost bumping into the assistant on my way out.

As soon as I exited the office, the bell rang. I glanced at my schedule, quickly searching for the room number for my first class. The hallways bustled with students chatting and laughing, the atmosphere charged with the excitement of a new school year. But my mind was still occupied with the memory of my earlier mishap—the girl I'd accidentally bumped into. Her golden locks and beauty mark were burned into my memory, and I felt a strange mix of embarrassment and guilt over the incident.

Lost in thought, I suddenly collided with someone. I stumbled backward, bracing myself as I scratched the back of my head. A tall guy loomed over me, his expression a mix of annoyance and smug satisfaction. "Should've watched where you were going," he said, crossing his arms.

I scrambled to my feet, my face heating up. "This is a hallway," I shot back. "You can't just stand in the middle of it and expect people to avoid you."

He rolled his eyes, a smirk playing on his lips as I brushed off my jeans. I nudged past him, a slight grin of my own appearing as I pushed open the door marked with my first-period class number.

The moment I stepped inside, all eyes turned to me. The room fell silent, and I could feel the weight of their stares. The teacher, a middle-aged man with thinning hair, looked over at me, his eyebrows raised. "Didn't I tell you I dislike late students?"

"I was just walking from—"

"Detention!" he barked, cutting me off. My heart sank, and I felt the heat of embarrassment flood my cheeks. Whispers erupted from the girls seated in the front row, their heads leaning together as they pointed and giggled.

"Cayden, baby," I heard one of the girls say, her voice dripping with sweetness. I turned to see the same girl from earlier, the one I had bumped into. She stood next to the guy who had just insulted me, a perfect picture of confidence and beauty.

"Hello there, gorgeous," he said, leaning close enough for me to feel the warmth of his breath. I whipped my head around, narrowing my eyes at him.

"Both of you, detention!" the teacher snapped again, his frustration palpable. The guy chuckled, unfazed by the reprimand.

"Jeez, don't get your panties in a twist, Mr. Brown," he replied, earning a chorus of giggles from the girls around him. "Calm down if you don't want to get any wrinkles."

"Detention for two weeks!" Mr. Brown shouted, exasperated.

"Just so you know, I'm related to the Dean," the guy shot back, crossing his arms defiantly. "If you report me, I'll report you too."

The teacher's jaw tightened. "Respect me as your teacher and go to the detention room, or I'll drag you both there myself. What's it going to be?"

I backed away from the door, feeling trapped as the guy stepped forward, closing it behind me.

"Where are you going?" he called out, his tone teasing.

"Detention is this way, gorgeous," he said, smirking at me. I rolled my eyes and started walking again, my irritation bubbling to the surface.

"Thanks a lot for getting me into this mess," I muttered, my tone dripping with sarcasm as I glared at him.

He chuckled, clearly amused. "Hey, you should be thanking me. Now you've got a reason to get to know me better."

I scoffed, shaking my head as I continued down the hall, stomping my feet in frustration. The last thing I wanted was to be associated with someone like him—trouble followed him like a shadow, and I had enough chaos in my life without adding him to the mix.

As we walked in silence toward the detention room, I couldn't help but glance at him from the corner of my eye. He was undeniably attractive—tall, with tousled hair and an easy confidence that drew people in. But I wasn't interested in the kind of trouble he represented. I had my own problems to deal with, namely my unspoken feelings for Ethan and navigating a new school.

***