Chapter XXXIV

*** Before ***

The school day dragged on like an eternity, filled with the usual chorus of laughter, whispers, and the relentless ticking of the clock. I couldn't shake the feeling of ungratefulness gnawing at me, a heaviness that seemed to settle in my chest with every harsh word exchanged in the hallways. Finally, the last bell rang, and I stumbled out of the building, almost in disbelief that I had survived another day in this hellhole. Two more months until finals, and then freedom for the summer. I could hardly wait.

Sinking into one of the weathered benches outside, I pulled out my iPod and drowned out the chaos around me with music. My mom usually picked me up at around 3 PM during her lunch break, and today was no different. We had our little routine—she'd swing by the school, and instead of heading straight home, we'd grab a bite to eat together. It was the only thing I looked forward to.

I watched as clusters of students filtered out of the school, their faces animated with excitement, but I remained seated, earbuds in, tapping my foot to the rhythm. I wanted to dance, to let go of the day, but I resisted the urge, reminding myself of the times I'd embarrassed myself in public before.

Thirty minutes passed, and I nearly drifted off when a loud honk pierced the air, jolting me awake. I squinted toward the sound and saw a familiar car pull up. I knew that car—my mom's. But as I prepared to stand, I froze. My dad stepped out.

What? Confusion washed over me. I knew my mom's plate number by heart; this was not her car. My mind raced with questions. Had I imagined it? Did I need glasses?

"Honey!" My dad called out, arms wide open in an attempt at warmth. I stood, bewildered, my heart racing as I tried to process the sight of him after months of silence.

"Dad?" I managed, my voice a fragile whisper. I stepped forward, hesitantly, the excitement and anxiety battling within me. I was almost ready to run to him when—

"Daddy!" A voice called out from behind me, making me stop in my tracks. I turned, and the air rushed out of my lungs as I saw her: Emily. My stomach churned.

"Emily, I miss you so much, darling."

My worst nightmare materialized before my eyes. Was he cheating on my mom? Did he have another daughter? Emily, the girl who ruled the school, the one who'd tormented me in first period, stood there, her smile radiant as she leaped into his arms.

Emily was my half-sister.

I felt my world shift, the ground crumbling beneath me. My knees shook, threatening to give way under the weight of this revelation. I wanted to scream, to cry, to shove the knowledge away, but it clung to me like a shadow. I stood there, paralyzed, as they climbed into my mom's car and drove off, leaving me alone in the parking lot, engulfed in a sudden silence that felt deafening.

Hot tears blurred my vision as I sank back onto the bench, my mind racing. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the image of them together, of my father's betrayal. The world around me faded; I felt utterly, inexplicably alone.

Finally, my mom's car appeared, and I knew she spotted me. She jumped out, her face a mixture of concern and urgency as she rushed toward me, kneeling down to my level.

"Baby, what's wrong?" She asked, her thumb brushing away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. The worry etched on her face made my heart ache.

I threw my arms around her, sobbing uncontrollably. I needed her comfort, her presence to reassure me that everything would be okay, even when I knew it wouldn't.

"Tell me, Momma's here for you," she whispered, her voice soothing as she pulled back to look into my eyes.

"Dad's cheating on you," I blurted out, my throat tight as I fought to get the words out.