Chapter XXXVI

*** Before ***

It's been four weeks since Nana died. She didn't make it.

Hearing the news shattered our hearts. The neighborhood offered their condolences, delivering casseroles and sharing in our grief. My mom was a shadow of herself, her eyes dull and lifeless. Even though Nana wasn't her biological mother, she had raised my mom after her own parents abandoned her. Nana had scooped her up during her darkest moments and loved her fiercely. My mom wasn't ready to let her go. It didn't feel right. Nana was supposed to be there, always.

As much as I tried to be strong for my mom, the truth was that I wasn't ready either. I thought of all our Christmas tree-hunting traditions, how we'd go to the old Christmas tree farm every year, picking out the perfect tree on December 15th. We'd decorate it, bake cookies, and laugh until our stomachs hurt. But now, all that was left were memories haunting the empty spaces in our home.

"Pack it all up," Dad said one evening, his voice breaking the silence as he folded clothes and stuffed them into a suitcase. "We need to leave this town."

"Why?" I asked, my heart racing. "Can't we just stay a little longer? We just lost Nana!"

"It's Trevor's fault," Dad said, his jaw tightening. "She died because of him. We're not safe here."

Mom's face fell as she helped him pack. "I just hope none of us is the next target," she said quietly, glancing out the window as if the world outside was conspiring against us.

I felt a swell of panic rise in my chest. Moving to Iowa? I didn't want to leave. I would miss my friends, our home, and especially Nana. Leaving felt like losing her all over again.

"Are your things packed, Felicity?" Dad asked, looking up from his work. I nodded, not sure what to say. He glanced at my mom, whose brow was furrowed with worry, then walked over to her, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Calm down. I'm here, okay?"

Mom nodded, taking a deep breath as he kissed her cheek. "And don't forget to check for any important documents," he added before she left the room.

"Hailey, are you leaving?" Ethan's voice broke through my thoughts as he walked into the room, clutching the teddy bear I had won for him at the arcade when I was eight.

"Ethan, I told you not to come up while they're packing," his mom, Martha, said, rushing up the stairs after him.

"It's alright, Martha," Dad said, still focused on our luggage. "We can manage."

I followed Ethan downstairs, grabbing an apple from the kitchen before stepping outside for some fresh air. The sun dipped low in the sky, casting a warm glow over the neighborhood, but it did little to lift the heaviness in my heart.

"I can't believe you're leaving," he said suddenly, making me stop in my tracks. I looked at him, my eyes brimming with tears. "I'm going to miss you so much."

We hugged tightly, and I let the tears spill onto his shoulder. In that moment, wrapped in his warmth, everything felt a little safer, like time had paused just for us.

"I'm going to miss you too," I said, wiping my eyes. I offered him a weak smile, and he returned it, though his eyes were glistening with unshed tears.

"I promise to follow you wherever you go," he said, his voice filled with determination. "I'll be there for you. I know you're not safe here—I've heard things. Don't ask me why." He tried to lighten the mood, making me chuckle despite the weight of our situation.

I glanced down at the teddy bear in his grip. It reminded me of the day we'd spent at the arcade, both of us competing for prizes. I had wasted so many coins on the claw machine, trying to win a stuffed toy. I remembered Ethan bumping the machine just right until the bear fell, us laughing hysterically as we made our escape with our prize in hand.