Chapter LXII

A few weeks had slipped by, and the absence of Cayden felt like an ache lodged deep in my chest. I hadn't seen him since the day I heard from Logan and Noah that he'd been discharged from the hospital. Not that I particularly wanted to see him. But perhaps just a glimpse would reassure me that he was truly okay.

After all, things had changed. My mother was getting married, and my life felt like a series of loops—going round and round, always returning to the same questions.

Today, I found myself in Lorraine's boutique, the place where my mother had her wedding dress fitted. My mother had decided against Liam's extravagant offer to buy her a thousand-dollar gown, a move that surprised me. I shifted my weight nervously, my fingers fiddling with the hem of my shirt. The dressmaker needed my measurements once more for a dress my mom had selected for me to wear at the wedding. I hadn't even seen the dress yet, but I was dreading it.

"Hey, how ya doin'?" Lorraine greeted me with her warm southern accent, her voice wrapping around me like a comforting blanket. I smiled as I set my bag down on the small couch near the entrance.

"I'm good," I replied, scanning the cozy shop filled with colorful fabrics and mannequins draped in beautiful gowns. "So, your boutique seems to be thriving! Have you had any high-fashion clients lately?"

"I did! A rich lady just ordered a special gown, and she's willing to pay double what I usually charge," Lorraine said, pulling out her measuring tape. She moved behind me to take my measurements, jotting them down with practiced efficiency.

Lorraine was one of my mom's closest friends, a kind woman who had welcomed us to the neighborhood with open arms. Even though she lived a few blocks away, her boutique felt like a second home to me. "Thanks to your mom's boyfriend, my business has been booming lately!" she added, chuckling as she finished measuring my hips.

I could feel my stomach knotting at the mention of Liam. "That's great," I said, though my voice lacked enthusiasm. "So when will you deliver the dress?"

"Tomorrow! I'll just adjust the zipper since you've lost some weight," she said, giving me an encouraging smile. I nodded, knowing I should feel excited but instead felt a weight of apprehension.

"Awesome. I'll see you then," I said, forcing a smile as I left the boutique.

With my mother's wedding just two days away, I felt an odd mixture of anxiety and resignation. I was on the brink of officially welcoming Liam as my new dad and accepting Cayden and Will as my stepbrothers. The thought left a bitter taste in my mouth.

As I drove to my favorite coffee shop, my mind wandered back to Cayden. The loneliness was palpable, yet I clung to the belief that avoiding him was for the best. It felt like the only option I had left. My mom's happiness took precedence over my own feelings, no matter how hard it was to swallow.

Memories flooded back—the laughter we shared, the way he surprised me with new shoes, the intimacy of our first kiss. It felt wrong to throw all that away, yet I was doing it for my mom. I told myself it was a choice I made out of love.

"Stop being selfless," Cayden's voice echoed in my mind. If only he knew how desperately I longed for a family again, a place where I belonged. Yet, the conflicting desires pulled me in different directions, leaving me feeling trapped.

I parked outside the coffee shop and stepped inside, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wrapping around me like a familiar embrace. I ordered a latte and waited as the barista prepared my drink, glancing out the window at the passing cars.

As I took my drink and headed back to my car, my phone rang. I fished it out of my bag, and my heart sank when I saw my mom's name on the screen.

"Hey, Mom," I answered, slipping into the driver's seat.

"Where are you?" she asked, and I could hear the worry in her voice.

"I'm on my way home. Do you need anything?" I asked, starting the engine.

"No, just checking in. How are the dresses?" she inquired, her tone lightening a bit.

"They're good. Lorraine said she'd deliver them tomorrow," I replied, glancing at the clock. Just a few more minutes until I was back at the hotel.

"Good! How are things between you and Cayden? Are you guys okay?" My stomach twisted at her question.

"I don't want to talk about it," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. Since my confession about my feelings for Cayden, things felt strained between us. I didn't want to add more weight to my mom's already heavy heart.

"Well, okay. I'll be out late, so just order room service, okay?" she said, and I could sense her reluctance to drop the subject.

"Yeah, take care. Bye," I replied, hanging up as I pulled into the hotel parking lot.

Stepping out of the car, I walked toward the entrance, greeted by the cheerful receptionist. I pressed the button for the elevator and waited, trying to shake off the tension clinging to my shoulders.

Inside the elevator, I pressed the button for our floor. The soft music playing in the background felt oddly comforting, a momentary distraction from my racing thoughts.

Once I reached our room, I unlocked the door and stepped inside, flipping the light switch on. The familiar surroundings felt both comforting and stifling. My bag thudded softly on the table, and I collapsed onto the bed, letting out a sigh of relief.

Two more days until my mom's wedding, and with it came the realization that I was slowly letting go of my old life. I felt scared and uncertain about what lay ahead with Liam and his boys.

My phone buzzed, pulling me from my thoughts. I glanced at the caller ID and saw Amelia's name.

"Hey!" I answered, trying to inject some enthusiasm into my voice.

"Hey! I'm coming to pick you up! Let's hit the arcades!" she said, her excitement infectious.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help but smile. "Okay, but make it five minutes, not ten."

"Deal!" she replied, and I grabbed my bag and a cold water bottle before heading out of the room.

As I walked down the hall toward the elevator, my mind raced with unanswered questions. Could I really let go of Cayden? Was I ready to give up my own happiness for my mom?

Each thought spiraled into another, and I felt a weight pressing down on me. I wanted to be happy for my mom, but what about my own happiness?

When the elevator doors opened, I stepped inside, the music playing softly as I felt the familiar swirl of emotions. I was standing at a crossroads, one that would forever change my life.

In two days, everything would shift, and the real question lingered: would it change for the better?