Chapter XLV

The shrill sound of my phone jolted me awake. I stretched out, rubbing the sleep from my eyes and blinking at the screen. Cayden's name flashed on the caller ID. I couldn't help but smile.

Sliding to answer, I was greeted with his usual charm. "Good morning, beautiful," he said, his voice warm.

"Good morning, douchebag," I teased, biting back a grin. I could hear him chuckle on the other end, and it made me smile wider.

"Now, now. Is that any way to talk to your boyfriend?" His playful tone was unmistakable.

"Whatever," I replied, rolling my eyes, but the grin on my face didn't disappear.

"I'll pick you up in 20," he said.

"Alright, see you," I replied, finger hovering over the button to hang up when his voice stopped me.

"I love you."

I laughed softly, almost to myself, not saying anything at first. After a pause, he spoke again. "Aren't you going to say it back?" He sounded almost hurt.

"I love you too," I said in my sweetest voice, playing along. "But I really need to get ready now. Bye!"

I hung up, placing my phone back on the nightstand, and grabbed a towel and fresh clothes. As I headed into the bathroom, I sighed. Cayden had a way of getting under my skin in the best possible way, but mornings always left me a little slow to catch up.

The shower was warm, refreshing, and helped shake off the last remnants of sleep. After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I wrapped my hair in a towel and made my way to the closet. I pulled out a pair of ripped skinny jeans and an oversized mustard yellow hoodie. Comfortable and easy, just how I liked it. I reached for my Lemon Chuck Taylors—Cayden had gifted them to me, and I was obsessed despite knowing they didn't match with half of what I wore. Still, they were a piece of him, and that made them perfect.

A quick session with the hair dryer later, I brushed through my hair and applied a light layer of makeup—just enough to feel put together. A little cream, some baby powder, and a pop of red lip and cheek tint for color. Satisfied with my look, I grabbed my phone and bag before heading downstairs.

Mom was already at the kitchen table, a newspaper in one hand and her usual black coffee in the other. She glanced up as I entered. "You never called again," she said, sipping her drink.

"Sorry, I've been busy," I mumbled, grabbing some bread and my favorite peanut butter and strawberry jam spread.

Her eyes softened, but there was a trace of frustration behind them. "Hailey, is that really the reason, or are you just avoiding Liam?"

I paused, my hand hovering over the jar. I didn't want to have this conversation, not now. "Both, actually," I admitted, smearing the peanut butter and jam onto the bread. There was no use lying to her—she always knew when I was hiding something.

Mom sighed. "I know this is hard for you. I miss your dad too, but it's been years. You've got to meet him eventually, Hailey. Liam really wants to get to know you."

I stared at my sandwich, the weight of her words settling in. "I'm not ready to move on from Dad," I said quietly. "I'm happy for you, really, but don't rush me."

"I'm not rushing you," she said softly, standing up and placing a hand on my arm. "But I'm asking for a favor, just this once. Please meet him."

I sighed, closing my eyes. I knew this day would come, but that didn't make it easier. Finally, I gave in. "Fine," I muttered, feeling my mom's arms wrap around me in a tight hug.

"Thank you, darling," she said, squeezing me before letting go.

My phone buzzed, signaling Cayden's arrival. I gathered my things, giving Mom a quick nod. "I've got to go."

"Don't forget—dinner tonight. Dress nice," she called as I headed out the door.

Dinner tonight with Liam. Great.

I stepped outside, and there was Cayden, leaning against his car with a Venti cup in his hand. "Hot caramel latte?" he offered, knowing it was my favorite.

I grinned, taking the drink from him. "How do you always know?"

He shrugged, smirking. "I pay attention."

He drove us to school, and as always, a crowd of girls swarmed him as soon as we arrived. Cayden had this natural magnetism—people were drawn to him, and it was almost funny how predictable it was. I pushed my way through, but Cayden caught up with me quickly, the swarm of admirers left behind.

"Personal space isn't in their vocabulary, is it?" I muttered, shaking my head.

Cayden just laughed. "You're jealous," he teased, his voice light.

I rolled my eyes. "Right. Like I care about them."

As we walked through the halls, I noticed a few stares and whispers—girls wondering if Cayden and I were dating. He slung his arm around my shoulders, and the whispers grew louder.

"Seriously?" I shot him a look.

He smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, forgot you're not into PDA."

"It's fine," I said, smiling at his attempt to be considerate. "I'll see you after class?"

He nodded, giving me a quick peck on the cheek before heading off. I watched him go, feeling a warmth spread through me despite myself.

Physics passed by in a blur, and before I knew it, lunchtime had arrived. Cayden was already waiting for me at our usual spot, tray in hand. "Got you lunch," he said, placing the food in front of me.

I smiled, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Thanks."

Amelia rolled her eyes from across the table, but I ignored her. Before long, Cayden's phone rang. He glanced at the screen. "It's Coach. I'll be back in a sec," he said, giving me a quick smile before heading off.

Amelia leaned in. "You're really into him, huh?"

I gave her a noncommittal shrug. "He's easy to like."

She grinned knowingly but said nothing. Just as I was about to take a bite of my sandwich, a shadow fell across our table. I looked up to see Levi, his usual cocky grin in place.

"Hey," he said, smirking.

"What do you want?" I asked, not in the mood for his games.

"You know, there should be a warning sign on me," he said, winking.

"Excuse me?"

"It should say 'choking hazard,'" he laughed, and his friends joined in.

Before I could react, Cayden appeared out of nowhere, his fist connecting with Levi's jaw. In an instant, he was on top of him, fists flying. "Cayden, stop!" I shouted, pulling at his arm. It took me several tries to get him to stop, but finally, he stood, panting.

"Don't ever talk to her again," Cayden growled, glaring at Levi.

Ms. Flora, the principal's assistant, pushed through the crowd, her eyes wide at the scene. "Mr. Anderson, my office. Now."

Cayden rolled his eyes but grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the cafeteria. "Cayden, wait," I said, trying to keep up.

He didn't stop until we were outside, where he finally let go of my hand. "What's going on with you?" I asked, concerned. He just shook his head, anger still radiating off him.

"Just leave me alone," he muttered, walking away toward his dad's office, leaving me standing there, confused and hurt.