Chapter XLII

Thank you, Marie, for sending me your cover on Twitter. Follow her on twitter @xxbroken13xx and also, make sure to send your covers to me on my twitter, @dreamingtobe_17

***

I yanked a hair tie from my nightstand, swept my unruly hair into a messy bun, and padded across the cold wooden floor in my favorite pizza socks. The scent of freshly brewed coffee beckoned from the kitchen, so I grabbed a mug, filled it with dark, steaming coffee, and headed back to my room.

Placing the mug on my cluttered desk, I opened my laptop and typed in my password. The screen blinked to life, and I clicked on the Word document I'd been avoiding all morning—an essay for my application to Columbia University. New York City was a far cry from where I was now, but the idea of moving there felt both thrilling and terrifying.

I started typing, words flowing slowly at first but eventually picking up speed. Time passed in a blur of backspacing and rephrasing, until I felt my focus wane. A break was definitely in order. I opened Safari and navigated to YouTube, letting myself unwind with some familiar comfort: MyLifeAsEva, Zoella, and Liza Koshy, all sharing snippets of their seemingly perfect lives.

Mid-scroll, the doorbell rang. I glanced at the clock: 12:06 PM. My coffee, now cold, sat forgotten as I hurried downstairs.

When I opened the door, there stood Cayden, with his usual devil-may-care grin. Before I could even say hello, he reached for my arm. "Let's go somewhere," he said, his eyes bright with that unmistakable spark of adventure.

I frowned, pulling my arm back. "It's noon, Cayden. I've got things to do."

He shrugged, unbothered. "And? It's the perfect time for a break."

"I'm working on my essay." I crossed my arms, trying to sound firm.

He tilted his head, as if the very idea of writing an essay was a foreign concept to him. "Essay for what?"

Rolling my eyes, I sighed. "College applications. You know, life decisions and stuff?"

Cayden smirked, clearly unimpressed by my attempt at being responsible. "How about I come back at 3? Then you can't say no."

"Fine," I muttered, knowing he wouldn't leave me alone otherwise. "Three. But don't expect me to be ready."

As he walked back to his car, he called over his shoulder, "Wear something warm!"

Shaking my head with a small smile, I closed the door behind him.

I managed to get back into my essay, the minutes ticking by too quickly as I neared the deadline. At 2:30 sharp, I hit "Submit," feeling the weight lift from my shoulders. A notification lit up my phone screen.

Cayden: I'll pick you up at 3 PM sharp ;)

I rolled my eyes, letting the message sit unread. He knew I wasn't one for spontaneity, yet he never seemed to care. That was just Cayden.

***

By 3:15, we were walking through the park, and my feet were starting to protest. I should have known better than to wear ankle boots. The cold bit at my legs, and the tight pinch of the boots made each step more painful than the last.

"Are you okay?" Cayden asked, glancing at me with concern.

"Fine," I said through gritted teeth, forcing a smile. But a few steps later, the pain in my heels became too much. I squatted down, wincing as I removed the boots, revealing red, swollen skin where the heel had rubbed raw.

"Forgot to wear socks?" he teased, crouching beside me.

"Very stupid of me," I muttered, embarrassed. He shook his head, but his eyes were soft.

"Wait here," he said, and before I could argue, he took off running in the direction we'd come from.

Left alone in the park, I pulled out my phone, scrolling mindlessly through social media to distract myself from the cold and discomfort. Just as I was about to close Twitter, a message popped up on my screen.

Caleb: Hi, it's been a while. Are you free today?

Caleb? Amelia's older brother? I hadn't heard from him in months, not since he'd moved away. I hesitated, unsure how to respond, when I heard footsteps approaching.

"Hey, I'm back." Cayden was breathless as he handed me a paper bag.

I peeked inside and raised an eyebrow at him. "Converse?"

"Open it," he urged, bouncing on his heels.

Inside the box was a pair of Lemon Chuck Taylor sneakers. I blinked at him in surprise. "You bought me shoes?"

"I noticed your boots were killing you," he said, grinning like a kid who'd just gotten away with something.

I couldn't help but smile back, touched by the gesture. "You didn't have to, but thanks."

He knelt down to help me put them on, his fingers deftly tying the laces while I watched. Moments like this, when Cayden showed his softer side, were rare. He could be so thoughtless at times, yet somehow, he always managed to surprise me when it mattered.

With my new sneakers on, we started walking again, the discomfort in my feet easing. We headed towards a little café Cayden had mentioned earlier, its quaint charm drawing us in from the cold.

Once inside, the warmth hit me like a wave, the smell of coffee and pastries filling the air. We found a table by the window, the view of the snow-dusted park making the moment feel cozy and intimate. Cayden ordered two peppermint hot chocolates and a couple slices of blueberry cheesecake, a combination he swore by.

"My mom used to bring me here every winter," he said, staring out the window. "She swore this place had the best hot chocolate in the city."

I sipped from the steaming mug in front of me and nodded in agreement. "It's really good," I said, my voice soft. There was something comforting about the rich taste, the warmth of the cup between my hands, and Cayden's presence.

We sat in silence for a while, the quiet kind of contentment that didn't need words. Occasionally, I caught him glancing at me, his expression unreadable, but he always looked away when I met his eyes.

After finishing our drinks, we started the long walk back to the parking lot. The snow had turned the world into a crisp white wonderland, and I found myself wishing the moment could last just a little longer.

"Are you excited for graduation?" Cayden asked, breaking the silence.

"I guess," I shrugged. "But applying to colleges is stressful."

"Have you figured out where you want to go?"

I nodded. "I'm applying to Columbia. New York feels like the right move."

He glanced at me, a flicker of something—worry, maybe—crossing his face. "New York, huh?"

"Yeah, I want a fresh start," I said, but the truth was, I was scared of leaving everything behind. Of leaving people like him behind.

We walked in silence again, my mind racing with the future's uncertainties. Just as we neared the parking lot, I slipped on a patch of ice. Before I could hit the ground, Cayden caught me, his arm wrapping around my waist to steady me.

He held me there for a second longer than necessary, his gaze locking with mine. The world around us seemed to blur as he leaned in slightly.

"This is where we should kiss," he whispered, and before I could respond, his lips brushed against mine, soft and warm.

For a moment, everything melted away—the cold, the uncertainty, the chaos of life. It was just us, standing in the snow, tangled in a kiss that felt both unexpected and inevitable.

When he pulled back, the air between us seemed to crackle. Neither of us spoke as we resumed our walk, but the weight of that moment lingered, unspoken but understood.

I wasn't sure where things were headed, but now, I think I didn't feel the need to plan everything out.