Chapter XVII

"Hi."

I looked up, squinting against the bright sunlight, and saw Cayden standing beside me, casting a shadow that momentarily blocked the rays of the sun. He took a seat next to me, the familiar warmth of his presence stirring an unexpected flutter in my stomach. I glanced over the pond, choosing to ignore him for the moment, my mind still caught up in the chaotic whirl of the day.

"What brings you here?" he asked, his voice light but edged with something deeper, something I couldn't quite place. I turned my head to face him, curiosity finally getting the better of me.

"Just needed some fresh air," I replied, rummaging through my bag for my water bottle. I unscrewed the cap and took a long sip, hoping the cool liquid would clear my mind. "What about you?"

"Well, let's just say... I wasn't in a good mood today," he admitted, his gaze shifting to the pond, where a few ducks paddled serenely.

"And that you also needed some fresh air?" I prodded, a hint of sarcasm in my tone. He nodded, his expression thoughtful as he exhaled deeply.

"I used to come here when I was little. My family would always gather around this pond for picnics," he reminisced, a slight smile creeping onto his face. "You know, family bonding." He chuckled lightly, and for a moment, the tension between us dissipated.

"Being little was really fun because you didn't have to deal with anything. All you had to do was have fun, cry, and let your parents spoil you," he added, his tone wistful.

I opened my mouth to respond when his phone buzzed, breaking the moment. He fished it out of his pocket and glanced at the caller ID, his expression shifting.

"Aren't you going to answer that? Your dad's calling," I said, eyeing him as he stared down at the screen, a frown forming on his lips.

He declined the call without a second thought. "I doubt it's important," he muttered, tossing the phone back into his pocket.

"I think it is," I countered, my voice firmer than I intended. He snapped his head toward me, surprise etched across his features.

"That's none of your business," he shot back, his mood shifting from reflective to defensive in an instant. I felt taken aback, the warmth of our previous conversation evaporating in an instant.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, I stood up from the bench, my heart pounding as I looked down at him. "I know that. But why do I feel like... you..." I trailed off, realizing the words forming in my mind were more about my feelings than his.

His brow furrowed, clearly waiting for me to finish. I dropped my gaze to the ground, uncertainty swirling in my chest. "Never mind. I'm wasting my time," I said, turning away and heading toward the parking lot.

"What the hell is wrong with him? It seems like everything I do or say is wrong," I muttered to myself, my irritation growing with each step. I unlocked my car, slid into the driver's seat, and took a moment to collect my thoughts. I started the engine, but before I could reverse, a knock on the window made me jump.

I rolled down the window, annoyance creeping back as I saw Cayden standing there again, his expression a mix of frustration and desperation. "What do you want? To tell me I need to leave because this isn't my place? Don't worry; I'll be out of here soon," I snapped, unable to keep the edge from my voice.

"Can you stop jumping to conclusions for a second and listen to me?" he said, his tone earnest, catching me off guard. I blinked, surprised at his intensity.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I said. I know I offended you," he continued, his voice softer now.

"Oh, no! You didn't offend me at all," I replied, sarcasm dripping from my words, which made him roll his eyes.