Chapter VII

Waking up on a Thursday morning, the sun streamed through the gaps in my curtains, casting warm patches of light across my room. I squinted against the brightness, feeling the remnants of sleep tugging at me. With a groan, I swung my legs over the side of the bed and padded across the floor to the window, pulling the curtains shut to block out the intrusive sunlight.

I returned to my bed, sinking into the pillows, ready to catch a few more minutes of sleep when my alarm clock jolted me awake with its shrill beeping. The sudden noise made my heart race, and I instinctively lunged for the snooze button. As I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, I glanced at the clock and realized, with a sinking feeling, that I had overslept.

I leapt out of bed, slipping on my fluffy slippers as I rushed toward the bathroom. A quick shower was in order; I had only one more day of classes before the weekend. I couldn't wait for Friday to arrive.

Once I was done, I grabbed a pair of skinny jeans and a cozy hoodie. I knew wearing a hoodie in the middle of summer was a questionable choice, but comfort won over style. After dressing, I dashed downstairs, hoping to grab a quick bite before heading out.

I grabbed an apple from the kitchen counter, and as I reached for my bag resting on the couch, I noticed the keys hanging on the wall. "Mom, I'm leaving for school!" I called out.

"Take care!" she shouted back from somewhere in the house.

I hopped into my car, turning the key in the ignition. The engine sputtered to life, and I pulled out of the driveway, mentally preparing myself for the day ahead.

Twenty minutes later, I parked near the entrance of the school, quickly locking the doors behind me as I hurried inside. My heart raced as I rushed to my locker, fumbling with the combination. After grabbing my books and notebooks, I heard the bell ring, signaling the start of class. Panic set in as I frantically searched for my biology textbook.

I rifled through the top shelf of my locker and reached the bottom, but it wasn't there. Just as I began to panic, I finally spotted it tucked behind some old assignments. Grabbing the book, I glanced at the clock and saw that I was late. The tardy bell echoed through the hall, and my stomach dropped.

I hurried to my biology classroom, glancing through the small window in the door. Mr. Richards was already at the front, discussing something animatedly with a few students. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and stepped inside, feeling all eyes on me.

"Three minutes late, Ms. Smith," Mr. Richards said, raising an eyebrow.

"I know, I'm sorry! My alarm didn't go off, and—"

"Just take your seat and turn to page 147, please," he interrupted, his tone leaving little room for argument. I nodded, swallowing hard as I made my way to my desk, my heart still racing.

As I settled into my seat, I opened my book, trying to focus on the lesson. But my mind was elsewhere, replaying the chaotic morning.

***

When the bell rang for break, I hurried out of the classroom, eager to return the books I had used. As I approached my locker, someone tugged on the back of my hoodie. I turned to see my friend Amelia beaming at me.

"Hey! Did you think about the party this weekend?" she asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

I sighed, trying to appear nonchalant as I shuffled my books. "I don't know... parties aren't really my thing."

"Come on, it'll be fun! Just think about it," she insisted, her enthusiasm infectious.

I closed my locker and we began walking toward the cafeteria. Just as we reached the door, it swung open, and I nearly collided with Cayden. My heart dropped at the sight of him; he looked furious.