Chapter XXIV

It was already 2 AM, and the sky above us was ink-black, dotted with stars, as Cayden and I lay side by side on a picnic mat, the silence between us comfortable. The air was crisp, and though my trust issues still lingered, his presence had a way of softening my defenses, making me feel oddly safe. He didn't push, didn't pry too deeply, but the way he spoke, like he genuinely cared, chipped away at the walls I had spent years building.

For the first time in a long while, I felt like I might be ready to tell him everything—to let him in. The thought scared me. But I was tired of being scared. Tired of carrying everything alone.

I glanced at him, caught his eye, and quickly looked away. His gaze wasn't heavy, just curious, patient. I took a breath, the cool night air filling my lungs, and finally spoke.

"My dad died when I was about thirteen," I began, my voice low, almost uncertain. "I don't remember much about him, not really. But... I'm still mourning him, I guess. Even after all these years, I haven't figured out how to let go. And I hate that about myself."

Cayden didn't say anything right away, and for that, I was grateful. I wasn't looking for platitudes or empty reassurances. He just sat there, his silence telling me he was listening. Really listening. I didn't feel judged. I didn't feel pitied. Just heard.

As I stared out at the sky, my phone buzzed, pulling me back from the moment. I hesitated, then fumbled in my pocket to check the message. It was from my mom, asking where I was, telling me she was worried. Of course she was. I'd been out here longer than I planned.

I sighed, feeling a tug of guilt.

"It's your mom, isn't it?" Cayden asked gently, watching me as I glanced down at the screen.

"Yeah," I replied, running a hand through my hair. "She wants me to come home. She's worried."

He nodded, standing up slowly and offering his hand to help me up. "We should head back then."

I hesitated for a second before grabbing his hand, his grip warm and steady. Together, we packed up the picnic mat, and as we started walking back toward his car, I felt his hand slip into mine. I didn't pull away. I didn't even think to. It felt natural, like we'd done this a hundred times before, though I barely knew him a few weeks ago.

The drive back was quiet, save for the low hum of the car engine and the occasional breeze that swept through the open windows. At one point, I felt my eyelids grow heavy, and I yawned, exhausted from the emotional rollercoaster of the evening.

"You should get some rest," Cayden said softly, his eyes flickering toward me briefly before focusing back on the road. "We've got a little drive ahead of us."

I nodded, settling back in the seat. As the world outside blurred into darkness, my thoughts wandered back to my dad. To the way his absence had shaped so much of who I was now. I closed my eyes, feeling the weight of it all, and before I knew it, I drifted off to sleep.

***

I woke up to the shrill sound of my alarm. Groggy and disoriented, I sat up, blinking against the morning light streaming through my bedroom window. For a second, I thought maybe it had all been a dream—Cayden, the stars, opening up about my dad—but the feel of my oversized hoodie and skinny jeans still on me confirmed it wasn't.

It was real.

I smiled faintly, feeling lighter than I had in a long time. There was something comforting about knowing I hadn't imagined any of it.

But then I glanced at the clock, and my heart skipped a beat. 7:15 AM. I had 35 minutes to get ready for school. Crap.

I scrambled out of bed, rushing through my morning routine. I wasn't one to spend too much time on hair or makeup, but I still made an effort to look presentable—my favorite black Rolling Stones band tee, ripped skinny jeans, a quick swipe of concealer, a touch of blush, and a dab of red lip tint. It was my go-to look for when I wanted to look like I hadn't tried too hard, even though I clearly had.

By the time I ran downstairs, I was already five minutes behind schedule. Mom was in the kitchen, flipping pancakes like it was just any other day.

"Morning, honey! You're cutting it close today," she called out cheerfully.

I mumbled something about school as I poured myself a bowl of cereal. She glanced over, an eyebrow raised.

"Did you sleep okay? You got home pretty late last night."

"Yeah," I replied, distractedly munching on my breakfast. "I'm fine."

Before she could pry further, I heard the unmistakable sound of a car horn outside. I froze mid-bite.

Mom smiled knowingly. "Sounds like your ride's here."

I groaned inwardly, glancing out the window. Sure enough, there was Cayden's car parked in front of the house. The memory of last night's drive came flooding back, and my heart did a weird little flutter. I quickly finished my cereal and grabbed my bag, hoping to make a quick exit.

"You're not gonna say hi?" Mom teased, following me to the door.

"Bye, Mom!" I called, rushing outside before she could embarrass me further.

Cayden was leaning against the side of his car, that same easygoing smile on his face. I walked toward him, feeling both awkward and amused by how casual he seemed. It was as if driving me to school had always been part of the routine.

"Ready?" he asked as I slid into the passenger seat.

"Yeah," I muttered, still not entirely awake.

The drive to school was mostly uneventful, with the radio playing softly in the background. Every now and then, Cayden would glance at me, a slight smile tugging at his lips. I tried not to think too much about it. Tried not to wonder if this was more than just a ride to school.

By the time we pulled into the parking lot, the school grounds were already buzzing with activity. Cayden parked in his usual spot, and almost immediately, a small group of girls flocked to his car, eager for his attention. He flashed them his signature smirk, answering their questions with practiced ease.

I rolled my eyes and slipped out of the car, wanting no part of whatever fan club had formed around him. But before I could make my escape, I felt his arm casually drape over my shoulders, pulling me into his orbit.

I stiffened, glancing around at the sea of eyes that were now undoubtedly on us.

"What are you doing?" I whispered, trying to pull away without making a scene.

"Relax," he said, laughing softly. "People stare. Let them."

I gave him a look. "I don't want to be famous for hanging out with the most popular guy in school."

Cayden stopped walking and turned to face me, his expression softening. "That's not why I'm hanging out with you, if that's what you're worried about."

His words caught me off guard. I wasn't sure why, but they did. I searched his face for any trace of insincerity, but all I found was that same steady gaze he'd given me the night before. The one that made me feel like I could trust him.

I opened my mouth to respond, but before I could, the bell rang, cutting through the tension like a knife.

"Saved by the bell," he joked, flashing me one last smile before heading off to his first class, leaving me standing there, my thoughts a tangled mess.

Maybe I had been wrong about him. Maybe I wasn't the only one who had walls to break down.