Chapter XXVIII

As much as I wanted to spend my spring break in blissful isolation, it seemed fate had other plans. Cayden and his friends were also headed to the same beach house where I was supposed to unwind for the next five days. Great. Just great.

If you think this was going to be a vacation filled with sunshine and serenity, think again. Sure, Cayden looked like a Greek god, but being around him was anything but lucky. I mean, come on, who wants to be reminded of their crush when all you really want is a few days of peace? Well, there was that slight chance I might get to see him shirtless, but I needed to rein in my thoughts—quickly.

"Ugh, focus," I muttered to myself, feeling my mouth dry up. I rummaged through my backpack for a water bottle, but of course, it was empty. "Amelia!" I called out, turning to see her, Ethan, and David slumped in their seats, all fast asleep like a bunch of toddlers. "Seriously? Is nobody awake to help me?"

"Here," Cayden said, reaching for the water bottle in the cup holder beside him. He handed it over, and I took a sip, only to realize it was still warm. I quickly stopped drinking and returned the bottle. "Thanks, I guess."

As I handed it back, a thought struck me—wasn't I indirectly kissing him? Just a little ridiculous, right? Why was I suddenly feeling shy? I shook my head, trying to dismiss the thought. It was just a water bottle, after all. Not like I'd kissed him on the lips or anything—though he was undeniably hot, and I needed to stop thinking about that.

I turned my attention back to the road ahead. Cayden, with his sun-kissed skin and carefree attitude, was far out of my league. Not that it mattered, anyway. I had a crush on Ethan, and that was enough for me right now. I really should tell Amelia about it; she was my best friend and could keep my secrets safe.

Feeling the exhaustion wash over me, I decided to close my eyes and take a quick nap. I didn't want to dwell on the confusing emotions swirling inside me, especially when I was trying to avoid any conversation about yesterday's awkwardness.

***

I jolted awake to the smell of smoke. My eyes fluttered open to see Cayden casually smoking with the window rolled down. "Oh, hey, you're awake," he said, exhaling the smoke and shooting me a grin. I sat up straight, my throat suddenly scratchy from the fumes.

"What are you doing?" I coughed, waving the smoke away. "Did you know smoking is bad for you? Especially while driving?"

"Did I ruin your beauty sleep with my cigarette?" he shot back, a playful tone in his voice.

I nodded, still coughing as I glanced out at the forest we were driving through. "My bad," he said, tossing the cigarette out the window and rolling it up. He grabbed a car air freshener and hung it near the air conditioner, clearly trying to cover up his misstep.

"Anyways, we're here," he added, and I felt a rush of relief. Finally, a chance to stretch out in a real bed.

As soon as we pulled up to the beach house, I opened the door and stepped outside, inhaling the salty air. David and Ethan were glued to their phones while Amelia snapped pictures of the breathtaking scenery. I wasn't much of a nature lover, but I appreciated the beauty of it all. The gentle waves crashing against the shore made me long for a day spent lounging on the beach.

Amelia dashed toward the small loft where we would check in, and I followed her inside. A girl sat at the front desk, typing away on her computer.

"Excuse me," Amelia said, and the girl looked up, her name tag reading "Ellie."

"Yes, I'm Amelia, the one who checked in online and called last week about our beach house," Amelia continued.

"Oh yes! Miss Ryder, right?" Ellie said, flipping through her papers. "Just sign here, and I'll get your keys."