Chapter LV

The sun was barely up when I slipped out of Cayden's house, ready to tackle the day's biggest mission: shopping for a prom dress. With the clock ticking and just eight hours until the dance, Amelia and I needed to act fast.

"I told you it would've been smarter to shop yesterday," Amelia complained as we entered the bustling mall, the sounds of chattering voices and the clatter of shopping bags filling the air.

"I was busy yesterday," I replied, shrugging off her criticism.

"Busy sleeping, you mean," she shot back, her eyes rolling playfully. I couldn't help but chuckle at my own lack of urgency.

We made our way to a store dedicated to prom dresses, a rainbow of colors and styles stretching out before us. I scanned the racks, still unsure of what I wanted. "Honestly, I don't even know why I'm going to prom. It's just a night of dancing, right?"

Amelia picked up a beige lace dress and held it out. "This would look amazing on you," she insisted. I turned to look at it, then at her.

"You really think so?" I asked, a hint of hope in my voice. She nodded vigorously.

"Definitely. Now go try it on!"

With her encouragement, I grabbed the dress and headed to the fitting room. Inside, I quickly changed into it, glancing in the mirror. The dress hugged my body just right, with a daring cut that revealed my left leg—a little sexy, and definitely eye-catching.

I opened the door and called for Amelia. "What do you think?"

"I think you should get that!" she exclaimed, her eyes sparkling as they roamed over me. "Cayden will be head over heels if he sees you in that."

Her words made me blush a bit. "Okay, let's find you a dress now." I closed the door to change back into my clothes and set off to find something for her. I scanned the racks, skipping over the neon colors until something pastel caught my eye. It was a stunning pink dress adorned with delicate diamonds at the top and a flowy skirt that twirled beautifully.

"How about this one?" I held it up to Amelia, who lit up with excitement.

"Yes! That's perfect!" she said, snatching it from my hands. "Thanks!"

She dashed into the fitting room, and I waited, fidgeting with anticipation. A few minutes later, the door swung open, and I gasped.

"I'm buying this!" she declared, her face radiant with joy.

We quickly made our way to the cashier, bags in hand, relieved that we had successfully completed our shopping with only five hours to spare before the big event.

Amelia had a plan. "Let's get ready at my place. I could use your help with my makeup, and I'm sure you need a hand too."

"Good idea," I agreed, grateful for her confidence in my makeup skills, even if I wasn't entirely sure I could deliver.

Once we arrived at her house, we rushed inside, adrenaline fueling our preparations. "You wear the dress first while I fix my makeup," Amelia instructed as she rummaged through her products. I nodded and headed for her bathroom, grabbing the dress and shoes I'd brought along.

After a quick change, I admired myself in the mirror. The dress fit like a dream, making me feel beautiful and confident. I stepped out to find Amelia applying eyeshadow, her focus intense.

"I'll do my hair. Got a curling iron?" I asked, eager to get started.

"Sure!" She jumped up, retrieving her curling iron and handing it to me. "Just remember to turn it off when you're done."