Epilogue

As I sat on my bed, surrounded by a mountain of boxes, the reality of my impending graduation hit me like a freight train. The walls of my room, once a vibrant collage of memories, now felt like a reminder of everything I was leaving behind. I picked up a stuffed animal, a little bear that Cayden had given me ages ago, and squeezed it tightly. It smelled like him—fresh and warm, with a hint of something distinctly Cayden.

"Hailey! Are you going to help or just sit there and daydream?" my mom called from downstairs, her voice a blend of exasperation and humor.

"Coming!" I shouted back, rolling my eyes as I tossed the bear onto the bed. "Just trying to find the right motivational song!"

"Right. Because your playlist is going to magically pack your boxes for you!" she teased.

With a sigh, I pushed myself off the bed and trudged downstairs. I found her in the living room, surrounded by half-packed boxes, a few stray packing peanuts floating around like tumbleweeds. "Do we really need this many boxes? I feel like I'm moving the entire contents of a small country."

"Just think of it as decluttering," my mom replied, trying to keep her voice upbeat. "You can't take everything with you to college. Some things are meant to stay behind."

"Like my sanity?" I quipped, grabbing a box and beginning to fill it with books. "Because I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose that once I step onto campus."

"Just don't lose your mind before you even start college," she laughed, tossing me a few of my trophies from high school debate. "You should keep these; they might impress your future professors."

I raised an eyebrow, holding up one of the trophies that was slightly tarnished. "Impress them? Or scare them? 'Look at me! I debated my way to this awkward piece of metal!'"

"More like 'Look at me! I can out-argue anyone on why pizza is the perfect food!'" she shot back.

We shared a laugh, a moment of levity amid the chaos. I could tell she was trying to keep things light, but I could see the flicker of sadness in her eyes. This was a big change for both of us.

As I continued packing, I couldn't help but think about the memories I was leaving behind. Cayden was still around, of course, but with graduation looming and college just around the corner, things were changing rapidly. We had decided to take things slow, enjoying what time we had left before I left for school. I was grateful for that, but part of me was anxious.

"Have you talked to Cayden about your plans yet?" my mom asked, interrupting my thoughts.

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Not really. I mean, we've talked about it a bit, but it's hard. I don't want to ruin what we have right now by overthinking the future. Besides, it feels like everyone is expecting us to have it all figured out, and honestly, I'm just trying to make it through graduation without tripping on my gown."

"Believe me, no one has it all figured out," my mom reassured me. "It's okay to be uncertain. Just focus on yourself for now. College will be what you make of it."

I nodded, appreciating her words. "Yeah, I just want to make sure I don't screw things up. Or trip on stage."

"Just remember," she said with a smirk, "if you trip, own it. Make it a part of your speech. 'I may have stumbled on my way to the diploma, but look at me now!'"

I laughed, grateful for her support. "Maybe I should make a PowerPoint presentation on the various ways to embarrass yourself during graduation."

"Now that's a presentation I'd attend," she chuckled, shaking her head.

As we continued packing, I found myself lost in thought. I had always wanted to go to college, but now that it was finally happening, I felt a swirl of excitement and dread. The thought of leaving home, my family, and Cayden behind made my stomach twist in knots.