Chapter VI

Yesterday was just another ordinary day, or so I thought. When I got home, a knock on the door interrupted the stillness of my afternoon. I opened it to find a guy standing there, his eyes bright and friendly. "Are you Hailey?" he asked, and when I confirmed it was me, he grinned widely and said, "Do you remember me? I'm Caleb."

I blinked at him, trying to place his face. It had been years since I was in kindergarten, and while I vaguely recalled a boy who had stood up for me back then, the details were hazy. "Caleb?" I repeated, uncertain. "What are you doing here?"

Now, Caleb and I were sitting in our favorite coffee shop, The Brew, a cozy little place nestled at the corner of Main Street. The aroma of freshly ground coffee beans enveloped me as I observed Caleb interact with the waitress. He smiled at her as she placed his coffee down in front of him, his enthusiasm infectious. "Thank you!" he said with such sincerity that I couldn't help but smile back.

I shook my head, trying to pull myself out of the reverie his smile had put me in. "How did you even find me?" I asked, my tone a mix of curiosity and skepticism.

He took a sip of his coffee, his eyes locking onto mine. "I tried looking for you online. No luck there. Then I found out you go to Anderson High because of someone I know," he said, his smile unwavering.

I raised an eyebrow, skepticism creeping back in. "So, you just showed up at my house because you remembered me from kindergarten?"

"Long story short," he continued, "I saw you being bullied back then, and I stood up for you. You thanked me, and then I promised myself I would find you again someday."

"And you did all this just to... reconnect?" I asked, my heart racing. His relentless cheerfulness was slightly overwhelming.

Caleb laughed, a light sound that filled the space between us. "Please don't mistake me for a stalker," he added, raising his hands defensively.

I chuckled, sipping my water, trying to keep the conversation light. "Well, the way you tell your story, you do sound a bit like one."

"Fair enough," he conceded, grinning. "But seriously, I didn't want to lose the chance to catch up. When I heard about you at Anderson High, I thought it was finally time to track you down."

Before I could respond, his phone rang, and he glanced at the caller ID. "Excuse me," he said, standing up. "I need to take this."

As he stepped outside, I sat there reflecting on his words, trying to remember my childhood. But the memories came flooding back, painful and chaotic, overshadowing the innocence of that time. The bullying, the fear, the isolation—those were not the memories I wanted to dwell on.

Caleb returned a few minutes later, his expression shifting to one of concern. "Hey, I'm really sorry, but I have to go. My sister's in trouble, and I need to pick her up."

"Oh, it's alright. I should be heading out too," I replied, feeling a strange mix of disappointment and relief.

"Maybe I'll see you again?" he asked, his smile softening.

I nodded, a genuine smile creeping onto my face. "Yeah, maybe."

"Alright. Take care, Hailey," he said before disappearing out the door.

After the brief but intense encounter, I went home, my mind still buzzing. The moment I stepped through the door, I was hit by a wave of nostalgia. I remembered the times my mom had brought me to coffee shops when I was young. The smell of coffee, the sound of espresso machines—those moments were filled with a warmth I longed to revisit. I had always dreamt of being a barista, creating coffee concoctions and knowing the secrets behind the perfect brew.