Chapter XIII

I'm not one to be friends with my exes. There's something inherently awkward about it, an elephant in the room that neither party can ignore. People often claim that they can be friends with their former partners, but I've never understood why they'd want to. For me, it's a line I won't cross. Once someone has broken you, the thought of being amicable feels like an exercise in futility.

It's not fear of reigniting old feelings that keeps me away; it's more about self-preservation. When someone betrays your trust—like Levi did—why would you want to give them a second chance? The risk of falling back into old patterns is too great. I hold a grudge, maybe, but it's a protective mechanism.

I was lost in thought, mentally reinforcing my boundaries, when I spotted Levi in the hallway. He stood there, a smirk plastered on his face, and my heart sank.

"What are you doing here?" I blurted, trying to mask my surprise with irritation. "Are you following me?"

He rolled his eyes dramatically, his playful smirk lingering. "The real question is: Are you? I transferred here from Columbia a year ago," he said, his gaze sliding over me as if he were assessing my worth. "You look hotter than before."

I felt a wave of annoyance wash over me. "And you still look the same," I shot back, meeting his gaze with defiance. "You're still the same arrogant jerk you were back then." The way he smiled in response told me he was unfazed, his ego somehow buoyed by my words.

"How have you been? It's been... what? Two years? Three?" His tone dripped with faux concern.

"It's been three years since you cheated on me—not just with one girl but four," I snapped. His playful demeanor faltered, and for a moment, his mask slipped, revealing a hint of guilt. But it was fleeting.

"Why are you even here?" I pressed. "You don't belong in this school. Is it because you've run out of girls to toy with? Need me to find you a new one?"

"Hailey, baby—"

"Don't call me that," I interrupted, disgust creeping into my voice. "That word coming from you makes my skin crawl."

He sighed heavily, glancing sideways, his frustration palpable. Cayden, who had been quietly observing, coughed awkwardly beside me, and I shot him a grateful look.

"And who are you?" Levi asked, finally noticing Cayden's presence.

Cayden, with a fire in his eyes, stood up straight and moved closer to me. "I'm the boyfriend of the girl you're talking to," he said firmly.

My heart raced, caught off guard by his boldness. Levi's expression soured as he turned his gaze back to me, an incredulous look in his eyes. "You chose this punk over me? You're wasting your time," he said, disdain dripping from his words.

"No, I'm not," I countered, annoyance bubbling inside me. "I know exactly what a waste of time you are."

"What do you want from me, Levi? You've already damaged me enough. When will you be done hurting me?" I demanded, feeling the tension in the air shift.

"I don't want to hurt you—"

"I doubt that. That's exactly what you said last time, right before you were caught with Hannah, my ex-best friend." I watched his face darken.

"It's not my fault she finds me attractive," he muttered, and I could practically see his ego swelling.

"I just want you back in my life, Hailey. That's all I'm asking for. I know I messed up, but I've changed!" His hands were raised in surrender, desperation coloring his voice.

"I won't fall for that line again. Just leave me alone, please." I looked him dead in the eye, my resolve firm. "I'm happy with who I am with right now."