|14|

Sophia's Gift

Jasmine

Breakfast ended with Candice not speaking a single word and King Larry unashamedly flirting with Kyanna, an obvious attempt to piss Melissa off. However, It was working to piss me off more than the one it was intended for.

How dare King Larry mess with Kyanna's emotions just to get back at his slut! All because she was late to breakfast? A childish one he was indeed, to behave like a spurned child. I stomped my feet through the corridors, not really caring if I seemed childish at that moment. King Laurent's flirting was also pissing me off. He only did it to make Candice jealous, he didn't want me at all. I tried to hold back my sudden sadness at the the thought, it was.... uncalled for.

What was wrong with me? I knew I didn't want his attentions but a small part of me told me that was a lie. Pfft, whatever, I hardly knew the man and doubted I would get to anyways. All I needed to worry about was helping find Queen Jessica and getting to London, that was my main goal. Even though I said this, I felt a slight joy to getting to go on a walk through the castle with King Laurent. Before he dismissed us from breakfast, he said we will be walking through the castle gardens. I loved all kinds of plant life and I was kind of excited to see what the gardens offered. What I wasn't excited about was what King Laurent had his servants choose for me to wear.

I walked into my room and on the bed lie a gray sundress with black slippers. God, another dress? At least give me a pair of pants or something. My body let go of a sigh as I flopped down on the bed. I had another two hours before the walk and thought maybe I could sneak in a nap. A knock at the doors denied me that. I rolled my eyes and tiredly told them to come in. Kyanna walked in, looking beatiful in a light blue spaghetti strap dress and blue pumps. Her long hair was down in curls. King Larry would be a fool not to choose this woman, I thought to myself.

Kyanna: "Ah, Jasmine I didn't mean to disturb you. If you were sleeping, I can just come back later."

Jasmine: "Nah, it's okay. What's up?"

Kyanna: "Oh yes before I forget, Sophia came to me and gave me this for you. She gave me a note to give to you as well. She handed me one too that said she was going to give you it herself but you seemed in a bad mood."
I felt saddened at the fact that I spooked Sophia, I was beginning to adore her kindred spirit. Kyanna reaching into the little bow tie purse she had caught my attention. She pulled out a slender rose gold bracelet with a butterfly charm that looked homemade. I smiled as Kyanna handed it to me with a note.

"Miss Jasmine, I don't know if you know, but you remind me of my mommy. She was pretty like you. Me and her made this butterfly when I was baby. I want you to have it, so maybe Jasmine won't be so sad here."

I felt the tears fall before I ever saw them hit the note, smudging the ink. This girl was going to be the death of me before King Laurent got there. My heart clenched, I wonder what happened to her mother. She said that she was pretty like me with a past tense, Kyanna played with her purses straps with a distant stare.

Kyanna: "She's a kind one isn't she? Hardly know us at all and yet she figured out our deepest insecurities with just a few glances. I hope the Kings treat her well."

Jasmine: "Yes, she is quickly becoming a treasure to me. I will make sure that King Laurent is. It seems once again, I have to thank her. Thank you Kyanna for bringing this to me." Kyanna smiled, a pretty sight it was and said you're welcome. She told me she'd let me rest now, that her and King Larry had a date as well. I sighed, fearing it was just another attempt to piss Melissa off. I kept my opinion to myself, not wanting to spoil her good mood, she clearly had a thing for the child king. She left with a skip in her step. I sighed again, well, to each their own. I laid back down, admiring the bracelet. I wondered if maybe I could meet Sophia's family. I could only pray that she didn't lose her mom.

As soon as I slipped into slumber, I was attacked by the frightful images. I heard screams as people flew in and out my vision, their lifeless bodies appearing and disappearing. I tried to grab them, to save them.

"Help me please. I don't want to die!" A child's voice cried out, as grape lollipop eyes appeared. No face, just the eyes, overtaking everything. I apologized over and over. I begged her to forgive me. The lollipop eyes widened in fear and a blood curdling scream broke out.

I was being shaken, I could feel my body moving in the seizure like actions. The dream wouldn't let me go. I fought against it and I finally felt my eyes pry open. King Laurent's face came into view. His eyes were worried and held a spark of fear in them.

King Laurent: "Are you alright Miss Jasmine? I heard a scream and came rushing to find you thrashing and saying I'm sorry over and over. What happened?" I was in shock. Not only by the dream but by the fact that King Laurent was here holding me like I was a crying babe.

Jasmine: "I am fine King Laurent. I apologize if I disturbed you in anyway. It's nothing, just a nightmare. Thank you for your concern, you can let go now." King Laurent hesitated for a slight second before he released me. He got off the bed, fixing his black v neck shirt.

King Laurent: "Very well Miss Jasmine, I can see when I am not wanted. I see I should have minded my business. I will leave you now. I will see you later in the gardens." He left with a sort of hurt expression. I sat there sort of baffled. Did I hurt King Laurent's feelings?

There's no way...

I love Sophia 💖