of families and photos

I sat down on a kitchen stool and looked around. "the place looks great, Ma"  I said.

"well, if you came around more often you wouldn't be so surprised." my mom pointed out, while busy removing pies from the oven. I inhaled the yummy scent.

I stood and embraced my mom, "I'm sorry, I just never felt ready to come back just yet."

"I know dear..I know.." she patted me on the back. "I'm glad you finally decided to try and visit..that's all"

"well, It has been a while...And I did promise you. " I said.

"So..who's coming over?" I asked my mom while I tried to swipe off a bit of cream from one of the pies.

Her hand quickly swatted me away. " You are so like your father!" she huffed.

I giggled and gave her a hug. "You know I love your cooking and I missed it so much." I sat back on the stool.

"Hmmm...you could have remedied that, you know." she looked at me knowingly.

And we're back to that. I shrugged and grinned sheepishly.

"baby girl! you're here! " my dad bellowed entering the kitchen.

I hopped off the stool and ran into his arms. "hi dad!" I tiptoed and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"uhm, where's matt?" I asked, looking over his shoulder.

" he's setting up some of the tables and chairs out back." he said.  "that's a fine young man you got there, you know." he patted me on the head,making me feel like I was five again.

He walked to the fridge and got 2 bottles of beer.

"what do you mean? what did he say to you!?" i pestered my dad.

"that's just between him and me." he winked at me and made his way outside again.

I turned to my mom in horror.

"oh, it's probably nothing." she said, waving her hand at me. "now go and set the table outside, your aunt mimi and company are coming over in a while."

My face contorted in horror.

Great. Aunt mimi was always in other peoples business. And she loved being all up in my business. She was gossipy and tactless. never a good combination.

I picked up the salad bowl and trudged outside. It was a good day for a barbecue, the sun was out and not a cloud in the sky. I glanced over my dad and Matt. Matt was busy setting up chairs while my dad was drinking a beer, both of them were laughing.

"are you dating him?"

I jumped, almost knocking over the plates. "geez, mom, don't sneak up on me!"

"well, are you guys dating?" my mom demanded.

"I just met the guy a week ago mom. I don't know the answer to your question." I whispered to her, my eyes tracking Matt.

"well, you should, it's time to move on, you look good together and I've seen him look at you." she patted my hand.

I looked at my mom bewildered, and she gave me a slight nod before walking back inside.

So, apparently, my parents are pro-Matt. whoop-de-doo.

I turned around and caught Matt looking intensely at me. I still couldn't get used to his staring. I thought back to what he said over the last time we had dinner at my place. How he felt about me. This man looked at me with so much need and want. It scared the shit out of me.