of being the boring aunt and the cherry on top

"this is really some good pie shirley." matt said in between mouthfuls of my mom's pecan pie. He had my hand flat on his thigh, with his hand over it. I've tried removing it countless times, but he would just keep grabbing it back. I gave up.

my mom blushed. " thank you".

"you know, I'm so glad to see you jenna, It has been, what? 2 years since you came home?" Aunt mimi pointedly asked.

I have no idea where she's going with this. "yes." i replied.

"i guess, it's safe to come back now, seeing as you have this hunk of a man with you.." she laughed. but nobody laughed, an awkward silence hung across the table. "especially since Br--" she continued

my mom abruptly stood up. " well, who wants some more pie?" she looked around the group expectantly. She looked flushed.

I raised my eyebrows at mom, wondering what could be wrong.

" I 'd like some more" Matt piped up.

My mom smiled at him, relieved. "well, jenna, can you help me get some more?" she smiled at me pointedly.

I drew my lips to a thin line, wondering what could got my mom all flustered. Matt scooped my hand and intertwined our fingers. I stood up and he released my hand. I quickly felt amiss without his comforting touch. "hurry back." he whispered.

"what's wrong ma?"

"what do you mean?"  she quickly turned around and busied herself at the fridge.

"you look like you're stepping on hot coals around aunt mimi."

"oh, nothing," she shook her head. " she's just being a busy body again."

i sighed. mom is such a bad liar. I must have gotten it from her. I laughed at myself.

My mom turned around, carrying another pie in her hand. "let's go back." she ordered.

"i'll carry the pie ,Ma" i offered.

she shook her head.

I don't know why she even bothered to ask for my help is she wasn't going to let me. I rolled my eyes and followed her out.

I felt his eyes on me the moment I stepped out. I looked back at his smoldering gaze and tried my best to outstare him, I of course miserably failed.

"you need to stop staring at me like that.." I whispered in his ear while I sat back down.

"I 'd stop if you stop looking the way you do, beautiful"

I stared at him and I was rudely reminded that I looked liker her. I turned away feeling a bit dejected. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it but I let mine hang limply on his. I felt my chest tighten at the thought that it isn't me that he really wants, but her.

" can we go and watch the parade now?" my cousin, Lila groaned from next to me. My other cousins murmured in agreement. "Jenna and her boyfriend can come and chaperone us." she quipped and stared at me, begging.

My eyebrows shot up at the mention of boyfriend. I turned around and glared at Matt and pulling my hand back from him.