of a wounded boy and a perfect girl

a/n: as promised, @lovelysamy , here's another chapter. I hope it measures up. 😁

"Can we talk?" Matt whispered, taking a step towards me.

I stared him in the the eye. "It depends, are you ready to tell me the truth?"

I watched as the muscle on his jaw ticked. "Now isn't exactly the place and time." he murmured looking around the party.

Well, he had a point. It was, after all, his parents anniversary party. People expected to see him and mingle. A lover's quarrel now would surely be in bad taste.

"Then what exactly do you want to talk about?" I whispered back, keeping my anger in check.

Smiling, he stepped closer and caressed my hip. "You look absolutely breathtaking tonight, My princess" He bent down and softly whispered into my ear, sending sparks down my neck.

I pursed my lips and shrugged him off. Trying my very best not to show how I melted with his words.

"I don't want to fight. I am very sorry." He tilted my head towards him. "Let's just enjoy tonight, We'll talk later."

Of course my body proved its traitorous self again. His words and his touch weakened my resolve.

"Is that a promise?" I murmured looking straight into his dark, warm eyes.

"Yes." He slowly bent down and pressed his lips against mine, taking my lower lips between his in a slow, languid kiss. I was instantly weak at the knees, he had me grabbing unto him for support. He slowly ended our kiss with a brush of his nose against mine. "I hate not being with you. I hope you forgive me.."

I bit my lip and looked him over. " We'll see, after tonight."

He gave me a small smile.

"Come, it's time for dinner." He intertwined our hands together and gently tugged me towards the gardens where they set up the pavilion.

The rest of the night went off without a hitch, well, except that Diane kept giving me odd looks. Matt kept my hand tightly woven in his, as if he was afraid I would suddenly disappear. My mind floated absentmindedly, taking very little from what was happening around me. All I felt was Matt's fingers as he caressed mine.

Soon, with all the speeches done, toasts drank to, and a giant 5 tiered cake was wheeled in and admired, the party began to wind down and I could feel Matt getting tenser every minute.

I excused myself as I went in search of the bathroom.

I was walking back towards the pavilion, when a hand grabbed me from behind. Turning around, I was surprised to see it was Diane.

"Jenna, I need to talk to you." her eyes were searching and pleading.

I eyed her warily. "Okay.." I slowly said.

She pulled me against the wall in the hall. Her eyes kept roaming around my face and I swear I could see her eyes start to shimmer with tears.

"A--are you alright, Ma'am?" I reached for her.

"You look so much like her..." She cupped a hand onto my face.