of hands in pockets and botanical stylings

I stared at the both of them as silence reverberated across the room.

Matt quickly stood up, scraping the floor with his chair. I winced at the sound. " Well Brandon, it's been nice catching up, but we have to get back. Please tell Trudy we'll have dessert next time." He walked over to me, extending out his hand.

I stared at him, unbelieving. His stare bore through me, demanding that I get up.

I wiped my lips with the table napkin and cleared my throat. I glanced at Brandon. "Thank you so much for this afternoon and for a pleasant evening. Please extend my thank you and good bye to Trudy." I smiled at him, trying my best to appear calm.

I stood up and Brandon followed suit. "You're always welcome." He stated with a nod of his head.

I heard Matt's footsteps already fading away into the hall. With a questioning look at Brandon, to which he shrugged in response, I turned around and followed Matt out.

He was already at the door, waiting impatiently for me. His hands stuffed into his pockets. He's classic I'm-gonna-clam-up-now move. I huffed and marched towards him. "What the hell was that?!" I gritted through my teeth.

"Can we just go Babe. I'm in no mood to talk about it." he pinched the bridge of his nose.

Well, that just pissed the hell out of me. I opened the door and stormed out. I made my way towards his car, not really caring if he was following me. I was so mad at him right now, that the last thing I want was to share the same airspace with him. But, I didn't know how to get back to his house and it was already dark that walking was not really an option. I didn't want to go ask Brandon for a ride because that would probably piss Matt off even more. I stood in front of the passenger door and crossed my hands in front of me. I waited for him to unlock the car.

As soon as I heard the lock go off, I pulled the door open and dove into the seat. I stared holes at the glove compartment and waited for him to get in. I cannot look at him right now. I took a deep breath as he slipped into the driver seat and started the car.

We made it halfway down the Sheffield driveway when Matt decided to speak.

"Babe, look I'm sorry about that back there."

I took another breath and tried to settle my bounding heart.

"I'm not the one you owe an apology to and we both know that's not the main issue here." I answered him curtly.

Silence. It stretched across us until we arrived at his home. I can see him gripping the steering wheel like his life depended on it.

The moment we stopped in front of his house, I hopped out of the car like the devil was on my heels. Well, Matt was, but he wasn't really my favorite person right now.

"Babe!" He called out.

I stopped, turned around and looked at him.

He opened his mouth as if he was going to say something, but closed it instead, only to open and close it again.

He looked like a goddamn goldfish which irritated me to no end!

I waited for him to say something else.

He continued to stand there staring at the ground, hands shoved deep in his pocket.