twenty two

disclamer: this chapter includes flashbacks.

ELEANOR'S POV:

I got home that night and at first didn't even manage to open the door. The night hours were coming to an end and the sun was slowly rising. I leaned against the front door and slid down and sat on the doormat. I was cold and not just because I was wet and freezing. I felt cold inside, almost lifeless, numb.

I pulled out my phone from the back pocket of my skinny jeans. I wiped a little excess water away from the screen with my not so dry shirtsleeve.

I unlocked it and stared at the wallpaper. It was a picture of Isaac and I taken about two months ago, when everything was still okay. A small tear left the corner of my eye and fell on to the screen, on his face.

I put the phone down beside me and pulled my knees up to my chest and sobbed into them. "You fucking idiot," I managed to get out. It was directed to myself, not him. I thought I was the one that completely screwed up, but it was partly his fault too. But at the same time, I didn't have a goddamn clue.

Suddenly my phone rang. I picked it up and looked at the caller ID. Scott.

I declined it. I know that he was probably ringing to ask me, if I was okay, but I didn't want to talk to anyone.

I took a deep breath and pushed myself up from the ground and unlocked the front door with my key. I stepped inside and slammed it shut. I looked at the clock on the wall, 5.14 am.

I sighed to myself and headed upstairs and into my bedroom. I didn't even bother to change out of my wet clothes, I just sat at the end of my bed.

The thoughts in my head were twirling and hurting. All I wanted to do was cry, but my numb self wasn't allowing me to.

I laid down and stared at the ceiling, the so very blank ceiling and just thought about everything.

"Isaac, we'll get caught out here. We should be getting back to others anyway!" I said to him quietly as he dragged me to the back of the school building. A lacrosse tournament had just taken place and Beacon Hills had won. We were supposed to go out and celebrate with our friends, but Isaac had something else in mind.

"Nobody ever comes down here," he said as he stopped dragging me.

I leaned against the hard brick wall. Isaac stood in front of me. I looked around our surroundings. I guess he was right, nobody was going to come down here.

I turned to face him. He had a smirk on his lips.

"What did you have in mind then?" I asked him.

"I guess I just wanted some alone time with you," he said and leaned forward.

Our lips connected. He wrapped his arms around my waist and mine found they're way to his necked. My fingers tucked into his soft a little curly hair and from there they traveled down to his cheeks. The kiss developed into a very passionate one. He kept on keeping me gently pushed against the brick wall.

We broke up the kiss and leaned our foreheads against eachother.

"I'm the luckiest man in the world to have you here in my arms tonight," Isaac whispered. The smile on his lucious lips was so very genuine.

"And I'm the luckiest girl in the world to be in your arms tonight," I whispered back and carried on the kiss.

All of those beautiful moments we shared were something special in between all of the other crazy things that were happening at the same time.

I didn't even know that it was possible to love someone that much that in the end I somehow just had to let them go. I had to let him go.

My phone rang again. It was on my right side of the bed.

Let it ring, I thought to myself, but being me, I just had to look at who was calling me. I picked up the phone.

Scott, again.

I threw it back on the bed and soon the ringing stopped.

I wasn't upset at Scott or anything, but I didn't want to talk, like I didn't before. So much had happened in one night, things that I couldn't wrap my head around.

I was one of them, an alpha. I was bitten by. How was I going to get through it all? All of the full moons? Habits? All of that, I didn't know what to do.

For that I guess I needed to ask help from my friends, but then again are they the right people to help me? Should I turn to Deucalion, my so called uncle? How is he my uncle? How did my mum or dad never tell me that I had an uncle? I didn't even know, if he was related to my mum or my dad! Or was it even true? Was he telling a lie and just said that for an explanation for the bite?

A million questions left unanswered.

"You don't look too good," Isaac told me and placed his hand over mine. "Are you sure you're okay from yesterday?"

Isaac and I were in the library doing some revision.

"Yeah, finding a dead body isn't such a big deal anyway," I said sarcastically as I wrote down history notes.

I could imagine Isaac's reaction. He didn't always understand my sarcasm.

I looked up at him. "No, I'm not okay!" I said in a slightly louder whisper. "Who would be okay about finding a dead body?!"

"Again with the sarcasm," he rolled his eyes. "But seriously, if you want to talk about it, I'm all ears,"

"To be honest, I don't want to talk about it ever again, but I know that we have to. I know this isn't going to be the last dead body that we're going to discover," I said and put my pen down. "Who knows who's going to be next? It could be me or it could be you and I don't want to think about that,"

He stroked my hand with his thumb. "You're not going to be the next one or the one after that or any dead body. I'll make sure of it,"

"How can you?" I questioned. "Nobody could do anything about the last three. We're always too late,"

"El," Isaac said simply.

"What?"

"Please, stop worrying," he said. "We'll protect you, I'll protect you."

I smiled at him. "I wish I could say the same thing, but technically I can't really do anything,"

"That's what I am for,"  Isaac said and leaned over to peck me on the lips.

We never really kissed in public, never in school. It made me happy that we were so comfortable in our relationship that kissing in public felt like no big deal.

The clock kept on ticking and the night hours were already up. I glanced at my phone to see that it was getting closer to 7am. School started at 8.15.

"Great job El, another sleepless night," I said to myself.

But this time the reason was acceptable and understandable. It's not every night that you turn into a supernatural creature and break up with your boyfriend.