Chapter 40 - The End

[Photo: Dylan James Callaghan. Video: The End - Ellie Goulding]

A/N: Please take a couple of minutes to watch the video I've attached. It'll mean a lot to me, the song makes the whole chapter better. :) Thank you! In case you can't see it, I'll attach it once more.

I wouldn't say I'm one hundred percent sure, but I think today's the day he leaves. Yes, I feel upset about it, knowing that I probably won't see him one last time before he departs since it's a school day. I should probably make an effort, but I don't think I'd make it anyway. We still haven't talked ever since. I can't believe that it's already been three weeks. It feels so much longer, like it's been a year.

I guess I'll just talk to him when I get to find a way to communicate with him. 

"Let me be the first to say this," Max says, turning his head to the right as he checks for incoming cars, then he makes the turn. "You're fucking up." 

I squint my eyes at him. "The fuck you mean?" 

He raises his eyebrows, seemingly surprised that I don't know what he's talking about. "If Janie was leaving today, I'd ditch the hell out of school and be with her for the day." He shoots me a glance, expecting me to get the message. "In a relationship, both of you have to make sacrifices." 

"The thing is, he's mad at me. The last thing he probably wants to do today is to see me." I argue. 

"Yeah, he's mad at you. But he still loves you." He replies, brushing the strands of hair covering his eye. "If you see him today and work things out, it could make his whole trip better." 

"I would." I tell him, but Max looks at me like he doesn't believe what I'm saying. "I honestly would, but I can't skip the biology test I have today. The teacher's not giving any chances for anyone to retake it." 

"Try to catch up with him later, then. Or maybe have someone help you sneak yourself out of school so that you could see your boyfriend even for just a few minutes before he leaves for his flight." 

"And what?" I ask. "Run all the way to the airport?" 

He's quiet for a couple of seconds, acknowledging the flaw in the plan that he gave me. If ever I was going to sneak out, someone would have to drive me to the airport. Mom and dad are out of the question, they'd never tolerate me skipping class. Max isn't free until seven in the evening, surely Dylan himself wouldn't want to drive with me.

"Figure something out." He swats at the space between us. "You're smart." 

He pulls up to the main entrance of the school, where I see the baseball jocks in their uniforms and tight jeans hanging out beside the school bus. They must have a game today, then. I take my time fixing my bag before I get out the car, sneaking in a couple of seconds to take a look at their cute lil' butts, it's mainly the reason I ever watch baseball. 

"Braydon," Max calls out, I lean over the window as I look at him. He gives me a stern look, furrowing his eyebrows. "Promise me you'll see him." 

I shake my head. "I won't promise you anything, Max." 

I walk away, passing by the boys dressed in black and white, entering the school campus where students loitered in the field and the halls, killing time until the first bell of the day rings. 

I enter the school building, where the seniors look like utter shit, knowing damn well that the school year is coming to an end and all they have to do is survive the remaining days they have in store, knowing that they'll be free not long after that. All of the other levels, however, walk around like it's a normal school day. I turn a corner, my shoulders jumping up as I see Dylan walking in the opposite direction I was heading for, a backpack slung over his shoulders as he checked the time on his watch.