Chapter 9

Andy and I sat in the park for hours talking about everything. He seemed intrigued to have a new little sister. Eventually we walked back to his car and he drove me home. I told him about Grace and about all the friends I had made over the years in the system. I was dredding the day he'd ask about what I meant when I told his parents about how I endured pain from my foster parents when I was younger. I hadn't even realised that we had been sitting in the parking lot of my home for awhile until we suddenly ran out of things to talk about. I looked at his stereo to see the time and freaked out. I was an hour late, Mrs. Castro is going to kill me. I told Andy a quick goodbye and ran to the door.

The minute I walked in Mrs. Castro was waiting for me. She looked quite pissed off.

"Where have you been young lady?"

"Mrs. Castro I am so so sorry."

"I was so worried about you! You scared me half to death. I thought you were never coming back, or you were kidnapped!"

"I am so sorry. I-I"

"You what?"

"I have a story to tell you."

"Well get on with it girl."

I told Mrs. Castro about Andy and how I met his parents that turned out to be mine. She was in shock when I told her about it. I thought she didn't believe me because she took several minutes to say anything to me after I'd finished telling her. While waiting for Mrs. Castro to say anything I looked over at the stair case because I had a feeling that someone was watching me. Right as I turned my head I saw someone duck their head so that I couldn't see them. Maybe it was one of the other kids. They were always sneaking around the house at night and watching Mrs. Castro to see if she'd leave so they could run away or sneak cookies. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the person staring at me again and as soon as I turned my head I realised who it was. It was Grace. She looked betrayed and angry. Grace must have heard everything. I knew it was going to be a long night tonight.

Mrs. Castro finally spoke and apologized for taking so long to gather her thoughts and come up with an apropriate way to reply. We talked for a minimum of thirty minutes and I felt like I was in counseling. She asked me how I felt about the situation and what I thought about now having an older brother whom I've grown close to since the start of school, etc etc. I honestly didn't know how to respond, so instead of adressing how I felt I told her about how I'd started to grow feelings for Andy.

After talking with Mrs. Castro I walked up to my room that I shared with Grace and took in a deep sharp breath before entering. She was sitting on her bed waiting for me. I thought she was going to leap up and attack me because the look in her eyes told me she was pissed.

I walked over to my bed and sat quietly staring at my hands in my lap. I began to talk to Grace and explain why I hadn't told her yet.

Eventually after I explained she felt bad for being a total brat. Grace leaped up in my bed and layed her head down in my lap. We talked about how I'd started developing feelings for Andy but they vanished when I found out that he was my brother. She felt bad for me because this was the first time I'd actually started liking a guh, and remotely had a chance.

The conversation started dying down and not too long after I realised Grace had fallen asleep in my lap. She looked happy, and peaceful. I didn't want to wake her so I adjusted myself a little bit so I could be comfortable when I decided to finally go to bed.

The next morning I woke up to Mrs. Castro calling my name. I hurried downstairs to see what she wanted, and to my surprise she had a gift for me. I opened the gift carefully and realised it was one of those new cell phone things. I looked up at her wide-eyed and she began to explain that after the story last night she'd decided I needed one so I could contact her and tell her what I was up and where I was. I jumped up and down in glee.

I hurried to my room and got ready for school. Grace did my makeup again, even though I was skeptical since I only asked her to do it yesterday so that Andy would think that I was beautiful or something like that. Andy, oh Andy. What do I do about Andy?