One Moment Chapter 22

The room was small...super small. About a third of my room upstairs, so pretty tiny. The floors were concrete with cracks. The walls were unfinished and shows the pink insulation. There was a battered up filthy black mattress shoved in the corner. There was One window but it was by the ceiling and had bars over it. In the middle of the room was a wooden beam. And little Carly was hand cuffed to it. I gasp and Ian hears it. He puts his finger in my Mouth and turns my body close to his. "Your mine kid. I can do whatever I want with you. Now you know my little secret. We are going to keep this a secret and if you tell anyone I will murder everyone you know, including Drew. You will stay in the house from now on and live with Carly." He pushes me to the ground and spits on my face. He walked back upstairs and locked the chunky steel door.

I go over to Carly and she lifts her head up to me. "Hi." She says. Carly was short like shorter then me..I would say she was 4'7". She had dirty blonde hair and literally dirty hair. She had gorgeous hazel eyes that were full of pain. I sit by her. She is wearing a purple grape fanta shirt but is caked with dirt. She had short Capri denim jeggings and was bare foot. "I don't want to make this awkward and since we are now living together your probably wondering what Im like." Carly said. Wow she's good. "My name is Carly Mason. I am twelve years old, almost thirteen. Umm my birthday is January third. And Ian Thomas kidnapped me." Wow...this poor girl. She looks at me and I guess Im gonna talk about myself. "My name is Margaret Clink, you can call me whatever. Im fourteen and a half. And I am Ian Thomas' step step daughter." She smiles. "I like your already Margaret." I smile back "I like you to Carly."

We talked all day and into the night. We talked about our lives and our favorite foods, and anything we could think of. "So Carly how did Ian kidnap you?" I have been waiting for her to get comfortable around me so I could ask that question. "Well it was six months ago... I was a nobody and everyone hated me. My parents locked me out of the house. So I was walking down the street late at night alone. Ian approached me and asked if I needed shelter? It started raining and I was very cold and very tired so I agreed. He loved me like a daughter at first then after three months he... he lost it. He started beating me. Then we heard the news that you were moving in and he had to hide me so I now live down here." "OMG Carly your life is miserable because of me, I feel so awful."

She leaned her head on my shoulder. "How did you get here?" I smile at her and kiss her head. "Well I was born into a normal family. It was just me my mom and my dad. We lived in Chicago. Then one day when I was nine my dad went out to get eggnog for our Christmas party. A drunk driver ran a red light and killed my father...." "Oh Margaret Im so sorry." "Please let me finish. Then my mom got a job in almost every state. she got married to Ian and divorced him after nine months. Then she married a man named Wren. Then my mom died......" "How did your mom die?" Wow I haven't thought about it... "There was a car bombing." I remember Liza telling me. "That sounds more like murder to me." Wow now that I think about it it does..." It's late we should go to bed. Goodnight Carly." She puts her head on my

Shoulder and I put my head on hers. "Goodnight Margo." I flinch at the sound of the name. I like it. I whisper in her ear before I slip into unconscious, "I love you sis."