One Moment Chapter 39

I see Megs in a lifeless heap at the bottom of the stairs. I run to her. "Meg's? Sweetie? Please answer." I flip her over and check for a pulse. Good she is still alive, but for how long? "Ian call an ambulance Megs is hurt." I yell... next minute Ian is by me with his phone at hand. "Oh my gosh what happened?" He asks. "I.. I don't know." We support her head and put a cold compress on her forehead. "Ian you need to stay here with Carly. I'll go with Megs. I'll keep you updated."

The ambulance arrives in ten minutes. The paramedics strap her on the moving bed thing whatever they call it. Then whisk her away. I jump in the ambulance and hold her hand the entire ride over to the hospital. When we arrive they take her away from me. A nurse makes me fill out papers. The the worst part.... Waiting. I have to sit there with all these terrible thoughts in my head.

Finally after TWO HOURS they let me see her. Room 217, ok seems nice the usual dull hospital decor. I open the door and rush to the bed. My beautiful Margaret is lying there like a statue. Then a doctor comes in. "Hello I am Dr. khan, and you are?" Oh gosh how Im I going to cover her pregnancy up. She's to young to be married. "Hi Im Marcus Brody, her close family friend." I shake her hand. "So Mr. Brody, Margaret took quite a fall. Would you kindly explain how?" I look at Margaret, oh the beauty. "She was jogging down the stairs, slipped and fell." It's true. "W..what's wrong with her Doc?" I ask in a shaky tone. "Well she broke her neck, almost broke her spine but luckily didn't. She could have died. Anyway she also has a severe concussion, and broke her left wrist." Then an evil thought enters my mind. "Doc is the baby ok?" I say soooooo scared.

"The baby? Yes she protected the baby by wrapping her hands over her stomach and tucking her chin in." Oh well that explains the neck and wrist.

Oh well is that all? I think. "Thank you doctor." I say she nods and leaves the room. I sit down in the chair next to Meg's bed. I hold her hand and kiss it. Then I remember Ian. I pull out my iPhone 4S... I dial the number..."dude what happened is she alright?" Ian says right away. "Yah she broke her neck, has a SEVERE concussion, and broke her left wrist." I swallow the tears. I look at her and think, I would switch places with you in a heartbeat right now If I could .

"We'll tell her to get better." He says. "I will when she wakes up." I add. "Wait! Bro. She's not even awake?" I try to swallow the tears but it doesn't work. I start to quietly sob. "N..nnnn...no.. Shhh..shhheee... hhhhaaas....hhaassnt." I sob out.

After that phone call I went down to the cafe and got some dinner. I eat in her room... around four am I was still awake on my iPhone playing solitaire. When I hear a gasp and deep breathing. I get a doctor and turn on the lights. Meg is awake. The doctors run some tests on her then allow me to talk to her...

"Hi sweetheart." I say rubbing her hand then kissing her forehead. Tears slide down my face. She opens her beautiful blue gray eyes and looks at me... She opens her perfect mouth, "who are you?"