One Moment Chapter 11

I woke up with the light streaming through the window in my face. Now that it's lighter I can see more of the room. I discovered last night that my new room didn't have electricity. So that lamp is pretty useless. I crawl two feet to the trunk. And open it. I grab my pair of skinny jeggings. And my low cut grey short sleeve shirt. I go back to my bag and pull out my hair brush. I drag it through my hair and put it in a messy bun.

I then make a perimeter check of my room. Ok so when I first walk through the door I see a closet like room. To my left is a door that I dare not open. I tried and it's locked. Then there is the wall. Then the fake brown leather trunk. Then in the corner is the piles and piles of books. Then halfway to the next wall is the window which is the only source of light. Then on the floor is my air mattress with my one tie blanket, and pillow. Then the door. I have my clothes in the trunk and some items in my backpack still.

I pick up my backpack an bring it over to my bed. I plop down and unzip it. I spill the contents into the mattress. This is what came out:

-my hairbrush

-toiletries

-wallet with 50$

-a picture of me and mom

-a picture of me and Liza

-a baby pic of me

-a picture of my mom and dad

-my moms note to me from her will

-a book (Safe Haven)

-My baby blanket

Now. Don't judge. I sleep with my baby blanket cause it was the last thing my father touched of mine before he died.

As I was thinking of my father I hear footsteps outside my door. I quickly threw my things back in my backpack. Then I sat on the mattress right when Tasha walked in. "Well it looks like you already moved into the place", she says scanning my room. "Your probably wondering what that door leads to." I actually was thinking about where it lead to.

Tasha walks over to it and pulls a key from her shirt. Ewww. Then unlocks it. I carefully slowly stand and walk to where she is gesturing with her arms. I think it used to be the closet. Inside was a wood floor area. It looked like they were building a bathroom but gave up and stopped construction halfway through. Anyway there was a toilet on the back wall. Oh and the room altogether was like three feet by two feet. So next to the toilet was a sink showing the plumbing, and no counter. Above the toilet was a piece of wood nailed to the wall. On it was two hole towels, and 5 rolls of toilet paper. On the back of the door was a long mirror "This is your bathroom.", Tasha says with no tone. "You are not allowed to use the one in hall do u understand me?", she says with a hint of threat in her voice. I nod in response. "Good girl", Tasha says while patting my head.

"Now lets grab some breakfast and chat.", I was happy that I would get food to eat but Im a little scared about the chat part. I follow her walking slowly at a good pace from her. We walk into the kitchen. "You can sit", she says. I take a seat at the wood table shoved against the wall. Then she puts a plate in front me and demands. "Eat". I look down at my plate and almost vomit. On it was burnt scrambled eggs, a tiny portion. And she hands me a glass of chunky white expired milk. I look at her and she sees the pain in my eyes. "You eat that or I will shove it down your throat." I pick up the eggs and gobble it down. They're so burnt it cut my throat as I swallowed. The pain hurt so I chugged the milk trying not to think about the taste. "Good girl. I think we are going to get along fine".