Chapter forty-four

It's been two days and I haven't heard from Paddy at all. Melissa has text me saying that he's told her that he just needs time and that's fine with me but he's not even responding to any of my texts. He could at least text me that himself.

My phone starts ringing.
I answer the call without looking at the caller I.D. "Hello?"

"Hey Em, I was wondering if you could come in to work today please? My dad's gone to London to some convention and it's just me and my mum and it's kind of busy-"

I quickly cut her off. "I'll be there in ten," I tell her as I look at the clock on the kitchen wall; it says that the time is 2:50pm.

"Thank you!" she breathes exhaustedly down the phone.

I hang up and finish the small omelette I made for myself.

******************
I get to the café within ten minutes exactly and it's really busy inside. I haven't seen it this busy in a while or it could be the fact that I haven't been to work in a while.

"Hey Em! Thank you so much for coming in!" A busy Carmela greeted me as she dashed out from the kitchen.

"Hey! No problem, you know I'll always turn up," I tell her as I shove my phone into my back pocket of my black skinny jeans.

I head into the kitchen to greet Lilliana.

I spot her leaning over the cooker.
"Hi Lilliana," I greet.

She spins her head around. "Hello dear, thank you so much for coming in," she repeats Carmela's message.

"You know I'll always turn up," I smile.

She smiles. "Those jacket potatoes over there need to go to table seven love," she informs me as she points to the plates.

I nod my head. "Got it."

I pick up both of the plates and head out to table seven.

I'm too busy caught up in my own thoughts to even realise whose in the café. Majority of the customers are regulars.

"Here you go," I place the plates down. "I'll bring over the cutlery now," I say as politely as I can.

I turn around and head back to the till and pick up the cutlery which is wrapped in napkins.

"Here you go," I say as I give a fake smile. I'm really not into it today. "Would you like anything else?"

"Can I have a glass of water please?"
The voice sounds so familiar.

I blink my eyes twice trying to get a clear head. I know who he is but I've just forgotten his name.

"James?" I ask.

I hear him laugh slightly. "I was wondering when you were going to realise."

"I'm so sorry, I'm completely out of it today," I apologise.

You know when you're so caught up in your thoughts that you don't even know whose standing in front of you even when you know who they are. That's me right now because I didn't even notice Paddy was sat opposite James.

"Hi," I breathe.

He nods his head. "Hi."

Really? So thats it now. I sigh.