CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN
"What's wrong, why are you so annoyed?" Jasper groaned when the redhead wouldn't give him any attention. She snorted.

"You are worse than a girl with PMS, your mood swings are actually giving me severe brain damage. If it wasn't for the fact that I'd go insane sitting next to that crazy bitch," Alex took a short break while pointing to Jessica's back-head, "then I'd sit as far away as possible because you drive me crazy." Alex's voice was hushed as she didn't feel like spending her afternoon in detention. Jasper looked at her with narrowed eyes, before sending a wave of calmness her way. Humans, in his experience, were often not observant enough to feel when he calmed them or such, which is what confused him in that moment.

"What is it with you and making me high?" Alex suddenly exclaimed, a little too loud perhaps. A brown-haired boy who was sitting directly in front of them, Kirk, turned around and looked at her with furrowed eyebrows and a sympathetic, almost a little bit sad, gaze. Alex's eyes widened.

"N-no, I'm not actually high, I swear. Cleveland, listen to me goddammit." Alex became slightly annoyed, her frustration only grew when Kirk shut his eyes and nodded in her direction, as if saying something like "I will pray for you."

Alexandra groaned, before looking over at Jasper, who was chuckling slightly. "Well great, now everyone's going to think I'm on drugs. Fantastic," the girl said sarcastically. Jasper smiled in her direction, but she just furrowed her brows and muttered something about the mood swings she'd grown to hate. Jasper sighed when he could feel the frustration she felt even though he was calming her down.

"Welcome students, to another day in lit class." The scrawny woman named Mrs. Vincent stood up from her chair in the front of the room with a grin on her face, looking out over the hoop of students with expectation in her eyes. "We're starting a new reading project today, so I'll just sent you off to the library so you can pick out a new book. No requirements, just pick whatever you'd like. Off you go."

Alex quickly stood up, picking her stuff up and putting it in her book bag before hurrying out of the classroom. Jasper was, of course, only a few steps behind. He knew she wasn't really mad, just irritated, so he decided to walk up to her. Alex looked up at him before sighing, looking forward again.

"Sorry for being annoying and mad, I'm just having a bad day," her words surprised the boy, he realized that Alex wasn't one to tell people when she felt bad or so, so he took it to heart when she actually told him something like that.

"You're not annoying, try living in the same house as Edward and Rosalie and you will know what annoying is," he said, making the girl chuckle. "Anyways, what is it that's making this day so bad?"

Alex was silent for a few seconds, giving him he hint that she wasn't going to tell him what actually was up. "I didn't sleep that well tonight," she finally said, looking straight ahead as they got closer to the library. Jasper nodded, knowing that she was partially telling the truth. He could feel how tired she was, but he had felt the same way around her since they met. He knew there was something else that saddened her, but he didn't dare ask.

They entered the library together, although in silence. Alex was thankful that he didn't speak, she never understood the people that always had to talk about something and never shut up. Alex looked around and finally found the book she'd been looking for: Dracula. Alex had always liked horror in any form; games, movies and books. She'd read Dracula several times before, she never grew tired of the classic. 

"Didn't expect you to go for that kind of book," Jasper said from just next to her, making Alex jump. She had no idea he was still there.

"Well, Bram Stoker is a genius, enough said," Alex said, looking down at the old book. Jasper smiled.