CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
It was September, the leaves were falling from the trees and the wind blew even colder than it used to. Alex was sipping her tea as she waited for Jasper to come pick her up for school, as he'd done every day since the start of the new term.

Her father was sitting across from her, reading the paper with his glasses resting at the tip of his nose. "So, I assume you don't want a ride to school today either?" the man said while looking up at her briefly from above his glasses, before his focus was returned to the article.

"Nope," she said, finishing up her tea and standing up. She put the mug in the dishwasher before hugging her dad and walking over to the door, since she heard the familiar sound of Jasper's car outside. She put on her black coat since the weather called for it, before shouting "goodbye" to her mother and heading out the door.

The blond boy smiled at her from his position, as he stood leaned against the vehicle. She walked over to him and hugged him tightly, receiving a kiss on the top of her head, before they entered the car.

"So, darling..." Jasper trailed of, making Alex look up at him, eyebrows raised and mouth smiling.

"Yes, sugar tits?" Alex said, making Jasper chuckle while looking between her and the road, Alex smirking at him the entire time.

"I thought I asked you kindly not to call me that," he said, still chuckling.

"Sorry, I can't stop myself, you glitter like sugar crystals," Alex said, making him raise an eyebrow at her because of her tone, a smile still plastered on his face. He could feel that the girl was a little bit uneasy and blue, but still happy. "Now, please tell me what's on your heart."

"Aye ma'am," he said, making her let out a sound somewhat between a snort and a giggle. "So, Alice is holding a birthday party for Bella tonight, at our place. I'd love it if you came with me."

Bella had grown on Alex, especially after all the events that went down the previous term. Bella had followed the Cullens as they were going to play baseball, but ended up getting hunted by a tracker vampire who caught her scent. Alice and Jasper took the girl with them to Phoenix to try and hide her, but the tracker, James, found her.

They'd finally managed to kill James and save Bella from turning into a vampire since the tracker had bitten her, but the girl ended up in a hospital with broken bones and other injuries. Alex had spent a whole lot of time with Bella in the hospital since she thought the girl could need a friend that she could actually talk to about current matters, which was well appreciated.

"You actually managed to convince Bella to go to a birthday party?" Alex asked with a raised eyebrow. That girl hated her birthday more than anything, since she had this weird obsession of not wanting to be too old for Edward.

"Well. Not really. We're talking to her when we get to school. So, what do you say?" Jasper said, smiling warmly at the girl.

"Tonight?" Alex asked, seeing Jasper nod. She sighed. "I'm sorry, I can't. I have a funeral to attend."

"Your grandpa?" Jasper asked, seeing Alex nod. Her grandfather had died just two weeks earlier from a heart attack. The redhead hadn't been especially close with him the last five years, but as a child he'd been her best friend. She was just mostly just worried about Josh, who'd seen the man like his second father. "You're sure you don't want me there?"

"Don't worry Jasper, I'll be fine. Celebrate Bella, have fun," Alex said, seeing Jasper nod slowly.

"Okay, just tell me if you change your mind darling. I'll be there if you need me," Jasper said, making Alex chuckle.