CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE
Alex heard the front door open downstairs, followed by her mother greeting who she assumed was Jasper. She sighed before opening the door to her room and poking her head out, looking at Jasper as he walked up the stairs. He smiled at her which she didn't return, she merely nodded in his direction before turning around and entering her room again.

Jasper looked at the girl carefully, seeing that she wasn't wearing any makeup and was dressed down in a simple Iron Maiden-shirt and a pair of leggings. The shirt was too big for her and went down a bit over her thighs, the sleeves almost at the bend of her arms.

"So, how are you feeling after yesterday?" Jasper asked the girl out of curtsies but she just raised an eyebrow at him with a small smile on her lips. He smiled back, he was well aware of the feeling of tiredness lying over her like a veil, paired with the mixed emotions that he'd assumed she'd called him over to talk about. "Let me re-ask my question. Why do you feel like this?"

Alex sighed before looking at him with lip between her teeth. "I feel like shit," Alex said, making Jasper nod almost automatically. "Because Cyrus almost kissed me last night, and I froze up and couldn't do anything."

"Almost?" he spoke, causing her to nod.

"Yes, your brother showed up and saved me from an awkward situation."

"That's weird, he's usually the one who creates awkward situations," Jasper spoke, hearing Alex snort slightly. She then furrowed her eyebrows.

"Aren't you mad?" she asked, causing him to think for just a moment before shaking his head.

"No, not at all. What right do I have to be mad with you? I love you, I can't be mad at you for something someone else did. Besides, I have no right to tell you who you can and can't be with."

Alex furrowed her brows, but she seemed unable to form a sentence. She had expected him to be disappointed, mad - anything but this. She knew Jasper was often cold on the outside towards others, but he'd always been open with her. She wondered if this was what he was actually feeling, or if he was closing up. She took a few steps towards him and put her hand on his cold cheek, giving him more comfort than she knew.

"Well, to ease things for you, I have an observation," Jasper spoke as he put his hands together behind his back before he started pacing slowly, keeping his gaze between her and around the room. "I know for a fact that Cyrus has some kind of feeling for you, but I also know he's a good guy, which angers me slightly if we're to be honest here. I wish he was rude and impolite, just anything to give me a direct reason for hating him instead of the fact that he's in love with you."

Alex drew in a sharp breath before nodding slowly, looking at Jasper with furrowed brows. "Then you'd also know that I'm not in love with him."

Jasper nodded. "For the moment, yes."

"You also know that I love you."

"Yes, but you don't want to," Jasper responded, stopping his slow pace in front of her. They were just merely two inches away from each other by then, causing them to tilt their heads a lot to be able to see each other.

"That's not true. You're probably the person in the world who can hurt me the most and I know you're capable of it, but that doesn't change anything. I do love you, and I'm willing to take the risk of getting hurt because you're my happiness," she spoke, Jasper's stomach fluttered at the statement but his face showed no emotion.

A few seconds of quiet followed, before they both started leaning in. Alex took her bottom lip in between her teeth and felt the dryness against her tongue, before she widened her eyes. She backed her head away and looked at Jasper with wide eyes. "My lips are dry."