CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN

CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN
"Emmett, I'm serious," Alex said, looking at the large man walking next to her. They'd left the Cullen residence for a while, with the excuse of hunting, though Alex was in need of some answers. "Something is wrong with him."

"Don't worry about it," Emmett said, smiling at her. "He'll be fine. Edward found out that he practically starved himself for weeks when he was away, he's just emaciated. He'll be back to normal in no time."

"Well, what if he isn't?"

"Alex," he said, stopping for a moment to look at her. "Don't worry about it."

"Right," she sighed, shaking her head with worry in her chest no matter what he told her. Things quickly returned to normal for her and Jasper, but she couldn't let the worry go when she looked at him and saw how tired he seemed. She knew he'd be better soon, but just the thought of that not happening, and the mere idea of something happening to him scared her to death. She could sometimes hear Rosalie's words echo in her head, never moving forward, and for the first time in her life the concept of immortality struck her. She could live forever, and that terrified her more than the idea of death.

"Dexter," Emmett mumbled, and she glanced up at him, not fully smiling. "What's wrong?"

"Ah, it's no-"

"Ah, goddammit – don't say nothing, I promise I can handle whatever it is you're thinking of as long as it isn't my brother naked."

"Now I am thinking of that just because you said so!"

"Well, think of something else then," Emmett groaned, before looking at her with a narrowed expression. "Wait a minute-"

"Nope. Nope! Not going to happen – not having this conversation with you."

"Did you guys frick-frack?" Emmett looked beyond excited, and Alec couldn't help but chuckle at the way he grinned at her. She shrugged her shoulders, looking away from him.

"Alright, alright. Yeah, so what, it happened," she rolled her eyes. "Can we please talk about something else now or-"

"Uh-uh, no way. I see you're enjoying the full benefits of the newborn life," Emmett said, and Alex pulled a face at the words he chose.

"Do you know how bad that would sound to someone who doesn't know you? Newborns fucking?" Alex chuckled at his perplexed expression, before shrugging. "Anyways, as I was saying-"

"I just have to say, Alex," Emmett said, stopping in his tracks and looking at her with a somewhat serious expression. "Don't go moving across the continent and leave me behind just because my brother is slinging you some vampire-dick now. Don't leave me."

Alex's heart almost shattered at the way he spoke, and she smiled though her lip quivered. It was strange for her how her body would express emotions so differently now, from when she was fully human. She wouldn't cry anymore, and it was the strangest feeling.

She walked up to Emmett, hugging him tightly while smiling into the fabric of his shirt. "I'm not leaving you, you big child. Who else am I supposed to talk shit to about Jasper when he bugs me? You're my best friend in the whole world, McCarty."

"Knew you were too soft for me to leave," he said, chuckling. Alex smiled, shrugging.

"I'm not even going to deny it at this point."

o

"So," Alice appeared behind Alex and soon made her way into the redhead's field of view. "Are you ready for the wedding?" Alex raised her eyebrows, lifting her gaze from the pages of the book she was reading.